how to get this bass tone?

superelixir

I'm a guitarist and I don't know a lot about bass equipment. I recently heard a bass tone that I really loved and want to emulate (Trent Reznor Dave Grohl Josh Homme Recording - YouTube around 3:20), but I don't know where to start... Do you guys have any ideas for combination of equipment (compressors/preamps/pickups whatever) that could achieve this kind of tone? (Sorry this is a little vague... I was hoping you guys could lend your experienced ears since I don't really know how to describe bass tones.)

The attack component sounds like a pick is being used. I'm not 100% on this - it's subtle. Hollowbody basses have a unique sound that comes across pretty clearly in this recording. Also sounds like flatwound strings. There's not a heck of a lot of high end snap to this sound. Finding the right midrange combination with the tight low end is a bit of an art form unto itself. It's possible that there's an amp in the picture that they're using. It also sounds compressed but I think that's probably the last thing to be concerned about.

The purpose of the film that video comes from is to talk about Sound City recording studio. It was an all-analog facility that most people described as a dump. It also had a magic drum sound for a room with no apparent reason to do so. It also had a 24 channel console hand built by Rupert Neve in 1973. Approximately 10,000 platinum records, some of which you've heard were made in that room with that board. It's one of 4 consoles like it, and described as having a unique sound, even compared to other Neve consoles. Dave Grohl purchased it recently and had it installed in his studio. It was used on that recording.

But yeah, I think a hollowbody electric bass with flats will flesh out the basics of that sound.

Sound City

Kickass movie!

Thanks for the tip. I guess it's time to go to guitar center and experiment. :)

I can sort of hear the flatwound strings too. I have flats on my guitar, and it sort of sounds like my flats feel when I play them (not really sure what that means, but it makes sense to me)...

I plan on seeing Sound City soon--a lot of my favorite musicians were involved in it. Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me, so I may have to resort to watching it on my computer...

Video's down :(

But you gotta love Qotsa...

I'm partial to the bass tones on Rated R, especially on Better living through chemistry. Can't wait for the new album, Elton John is doing some vocals, should be exciting.

Oh, you'll most likely want an Ampeg to really hit those tones... I think he is always playing through an SVT, or something similar, and yeah, he plays a hollowbody, and yeah, I'm jealous of it.

Last edited:
Personally I've always loved the fuzzy bass from the self-titled album... maybe just because the bass lines are so classic.

Although the bass sound in this new song sounds way different, very sweet and warm sounding. It's too bad they took the video down. :/

I thinks that's Nick Oliveri on that first album, which is one of my favorites as well. I think Reznor has grown on me though, he's just always got the perfect tone, perfect line.

Back