How can I make funky bassline groove?

soloboy

some one told me that I can play my own groove by knowing basic scales. but can't figure out what's the theory about it.

Can anybody help me out with this ?? thx!

Look up some Bootsy Collins. It is more about how you play a much as it is about the notes.

A good simple scale for funk bass is the pentatonic scale. It's a good place to start if you're a beginner. Then it's all about rhythm and just digging in and playing in the pocket while also keeping things alittle loose and greasy.

I can recommend a book called "the guitarist guide to scales over chords..." Hal Leonard company. It goes through the scales and which applies. In your case either the major Mixolydian scale (mode) or Minor Pentatonic (blues) would probably be appropriate for a one chord funk vamp. (from the book)

Other than that- Bootsy Collins and Soul Train episodes. Damn I loved Soul Train back in the day...

To add to the above, a pentatonic scale will work with a Chromatic scale and it probably sounds better than Chromatic for a Funk bass. It is pentatonic simpler, allows the same scale to work with more keys and it just over all better for rock/funk E-bass.

Also, take it from someone trying to figure it out as well, less is more until you know what you are doing. Bass is great sound for those who know how to do it, but for us beginners, if we try to make it too complex, it sounds like dung. Start slow and work up.

I'm gonna go the other way and say you can't learn it from a book. If you do, it'll sound like you're playing from a book, and that aint what it's about.

Badass bass is one area where you have to learn from the masters. Listen to the kings of bass for what you want to play and cop their licks.

I'm thinkin the funk bass can be learned by example (like books or vids) but the groove and the pocket is gonna come by playing.
Develop your own funk as you play. Scales are cool and all but if you're just getting started, don't worry about the "fluff". Get the pocket down. Get the basics down. Keep the bottom end locked in with the drummer. Branch out on scales and stuff as it comes. Above all else though, keep it tight with drumber dude...

Mute everything but the drums, plug in & lock your bass playing to the bass drum = single root note until you're in the pocket.
When you really are in the groove break out to the octave occasionally to see if you can stay in the pocket.
A few years later try some pentatonic scales.
Playing across the beat means you have to KNOW where the beat is.

Listen to James Brown, Tower of Power, Bobby Vega, Bootsy Collins (especially the songs with James Brown), James Jamerson, the 70s funk bands. There's really too many to name, just get on youtube.

Bassically, Michael

Mute everything but the drums, plug in & lock your bass playing to the bass drum = single root note until you're in the pocket.
When you really are in the groove break out to the octave occasionally to see if you can stay in the pocket.
A few years later try some pentatonic scales.
Playing across the beat means you have to KNOW where the beat is.

This is pretty sound advice. First of all you want to master playing the tonic note along with the bass.

Then you can start filling in gaps with notes from one of two locations:
The chord - figure out what chords the guitarist is playing, and hit notes that are within that chord.
The scale - transition between tonics by walking along the scale. This will require you to learn the basic music theory of what scale the song is in.

I'm gonna go the other way and say you can't learn it from a book. If you do, it'll sound like you're playing from a book, and that aint what it's about.

Badass bass is one area where you have to learn from the masters. Listen to the kings of bass for what you want to play and cop their licks.

Badass bass? Is that website?

Listen to James Brown, Tower of Power, Bobby Vega, Bootsy Collins (especially the songs with James Brown), James Jamerson, the 70s funk bands. There's really too many to name, just get on youtube.

Bassically, Michael

As much as I agree with this, don't try to keep up with Rocco on the Tower of Power stuff. You'll hurt yourself. Walk, then run.

Listen to the Staple Singers, most notably 'I'll Take You There'. A funkier song does not exist.

Of, course, like any other kind of music, there are many different kinds of funk.

Do not listen to any Victor Wooten! You'll just put your bass in the fireplace and not even bother to watch it burn.

Back