How about Most Overated Bassists?

clifchamb

Hmmmm this is tough one. We (bassists) never get enough credit anyway. I used to poo poo Paul McCartney until I dove deeper into Beatles Bass lines Like Day Tripper etc.

Perhaps I should change the title of this thread to most underated bassists?

Perhaps Feildy (sp?) from Korn overated? Perhaps, but I have to admit that when I hear a Korn Song he has his own signature clicky low end thing happening no matter how crappy of a tone that would be for me to use.

clif

OVERRATTED: Jason Newsted
Cliff Burton
Michael Anthony
Duff McKagan

UNDERRATTED: Gene Simmons
John Entwistle
Steve Harris
Bill (Electric) Church
Paul McCartney
Phil Lynott
Bill Wyman

yeah diffinately nicki sixx, how about Cliff Williams from AC/DC (do you finger the A or play it on the open A string? heh heh)

I am curiuos, how is Gene Simmons underated?

I consider Gene Simmons underated because his image overrode everything he did. Listen to his playing on some of their classic songs, he is not content with just thumping along in the background, he is doing all kinds of runs and stuff. He played more inversions over the guitar lines than just thumping along in the background. I think he took it to a new level, and yet he gets recognition or spitting fire and blood and stuff.

I know I might get some of the bass fans in here upset, but, Flea from RHCP is really really overated. I mean hes good, but not as good as people give him credit for being.

I agree with Clif about Fieldy, he does some stuff i cant even start to figure out.

Some more I think are underated:

The bassist from Mudvayne. He is seriously insane. Ever see him on stage? the only thing that moves on him is his fingers and his eyes, and hes got some of the fastest fingers ive seen.

Matt Freeman of Rancid. pick any song of thiers, the bass is just good. sure some of the more soloish licks are based off the same notes, but, its still good. "radio havana" and "ruby soho" and "journey to the end" have some of the best licks ive ever heard. hes the reason i started playing bass. sure he takes the normal "in the pocket" place playing 8th or 16th notes, but, he can also take lead...

And the bass dude from P.O.D....i dont remember his name right now, but hes good.

freak

I agree with King Elvis about Michael Anthony. Thinking hard, I can think of maybe ONE improv-ish run on a VH record? (Towards the end of "In a Simple Rhyme," right after Dave goes "ow!.....whoa, yeah-eah...")

I also agree with the King about Gene Simmons. He does more than one would expect, especially considering you can figure out most of Paul and Ace's riffs on air guitar. :D

Other folks I think are underrated include John Paul Jones and Geezer Butler.

I was overrated every time I got off stage and had someone come up to me and say "Wow, dude, you're an AWESOME bass player!" Maybe--compared to Sid Vicious or the guy from Foreigner :D

I used to dig Billy Sheehan back in my teens when I was a metal-head, then him and that shredder guy from Racer X started a pop metal band and they entered the land of the suck all mighty!!!

King Elvis said:
OVERRATTED: Jason Newsted
Cliff Burton
Michael Anthony
Duff McKagan

UNDERRATTED: Gene Simmons
John Entwistle
Steve Harris

i never heard a bass player praise michael anthony. i never heard a bass player say he wanted to play like gene simmons. entwistle is held in high esteem in my crowd.

I know that I chose Michael Anthony, but in his defense, he did what was required of him for the songs. I mean how was he gonna compete for space with Eddie, he just laid down the foundation.

Now, as for Gene Simmons, I gotta say again the image did them in as far as repect from musicians go. The mixing on their albums didnt help since they sound like the bass is sucked out of them. On some of the stuff Gene is soloing thru the whole song, to me he was the best musician in the band.

Well the thing about Michael Anthony, you have to admit that he is a very tight player except that most of his stuff with Sammy Haggar well just sucks. I like his stuff from Fair Warning Album.

Rancid huh, I will be sure to check it out.

I Think Mark King from level 42 is underated (he is my favorite player) Most of their material he just kinda blends in with the synth bass but listen to them live or their earlier stuff whoa. Most people don't know who they are.

I think Eddie Jackson from Queesryche is underated. Great Bass tone (On Empire "Della Brown, Jet City Woman", Promised Land "damaged" and Operation Mindcrime "I don't belive in Love") He also locks in with scott Rockenfield's kick drum perfectly.

yeah Mr. Big..a band featuring some of the most phenominal players (Sheehan and Gilburt) yet really suck.

I also belive FLea is a little overated. How many years did he earn bass player of the year?

clif

I agree with clifchamb about flea but hes funny as hell to watch on stage.

I havent seen anybody mention Les Claypool.How does he stack up for you guys?

kev

King Elvis said:
On some of the stuff Gene is soloing thru the whole song, to me he was the best musician in the band.

While I do like Gene and hold him in high regards, I think Paul Stanley was the best in the band. His vocals were perhaps one of the best I have ever heard.

By the way, did anyone catch Gene on holywood squares. I guess we all need to make money somewhere.

I agree with Matt Freeman, he's one of my biggest influences in my current band. John Paul Jones is unbelievably awesome, especially on II (Lemon Song, What is...)

I disagree with Cliff Burton. I think was as good as everyone gives him credit.

PFDarkside said:
I agree with Matt Freeman, he's one of my biggest influences in my current band. John Paul Jones is unbelievably awesome, especially on II (Lemon Song, What is...)

I agree with you on JPJ. I remember back in the 80's when Plant and Page started playing together again and there was all of that talk about "Zep is back!!" and stuff like that, I was like, wheres JPJ???

JPJ was (is?) a very melodic player that is what I love about bass! You can lay down the groove and still find a way to dance all over the fretboard with melody.

clif

hrn said:
The guy in U2: Overrated
The guy in Stranglers: Underrated

I don't think that Adam Clayton (U2) has ever been overated..... He's never been on the cover of bass magazines (that I have seen) and I never hear people singing his praises.....

So while I totally agree, he is not a 'great" bassist...He has definately not been "overated".

IMO.

Back