How about Most Overated Bassists?

VOXVENDOR said:
I don't think that Adam Clayton (U2) has ever been overated..... He's never been on the cover of bass magazines (that I have seen) and I never hear people singing his praises.....

So while I totally agree, he is not a 'great" bassist...He has definately not been "overated".

IMO.

I agree with this statement. Actually if you wanna talk about U2, I think Bono and the Edge are overrated, not the drummer or bass player.

Yeah.. The Edge bites....

But I guess it's a testament for the idea that in the end the song wins....

U2 has arguably been on of the biggest bands since about '87, and it's definately not due to skill.....LOL

Whats cool is if you get a band that has the songs and the skills.. Like Rush... (Can't think of any others)

I play a little bass so I will chime for a little bit..

There is only one person that I can think of that has made a bass better than a bass.

Les Claypool (Primus)

I agree that Geezer Butler was underrated.

Him and Iommi both. And between them, such a tight act--and solid tone. Instantly reconizable.

-Jett

christiaan said:
I take my hat off for

John Deacon (Queen)

Are you saying John Deacon is OVERRATED???
I have got to disagree with that one, he has to be the most UNDERRATED bassist on the planet!!!

Overrated: Billy Sheehan. Just once I'd like to hear him lay down a real butt-movin', in the pocket groove with a tone that didn't suck.

Underated: Sting

Underated: Ross Valory from Journey. I love the Bass tone on Escape.

Victor Wooten is pretty highly regarded in bass circles, and I still feel he is underated. Great, GREAT bass player.

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

scottboyher said:
I play a little bass so I will chime for a little bit..

There is only one person that I can think of that has made a bass better than a bass.

Les Claypool (Primus)

Bass better than Bass!? Has bass always been mediocre? It is the sonic glue that binds the whole band together. How did Less Claypool make Bass better than bass?

Although Les Claypool is way overated, he does have his own teqnique and style but I find his music to really unlistenable. He is however identifyable to the non bass playing masses. Every show when I play a little slap lick, people go hey! "Can you play any PRIMUS?" or "You SOUND JUST LIKE LES CLAYPOOL!"

clif

"Billy Sheehan"

- i downloaded a video of this guy doing this solo where he tapped the fingerboard with his right hand. Whilst im sure its rather hard to do, the resulkting sound was, in my opinion, shit. Im not saying what hes doing doesnt require skill, it just doesnt do anything for me...

clifchamb — Definitely on target with MA's playing on Fair Warning, especially "Mean Street," possibly VH's finest recorded moment. Also kudos for mentioning Eddie Jackson and his tone on "Jet City Woman." Great stuff.

PFDarkside — I agree with you regarding Cliff Burton as being not overrated. I think the only reason people regard Cliff Burton and Randy Rhoads as overrated is because they were killed after only a couple or three albums each. I still say they were on their way to changing music in a big way.

Some more underrated/overlooked bassists:

Jon Camp (Renaissance) — Check out both volumes of Tales of 1001 Nights to hear what I mean.

Muzz Skillings (Living Colour) — Talk about a bassist who covers the spectrum with his playing and you gotta mention Muzz. Full o' flavah!

Felix Pappalardi (Mountain) — I don't know why he isn't emulated by more bassists, unless it's because he's connected to Jack Bruce (Felix produced Cream) and thus gets sent to the back seat. But Felix was great, and his vocals were awesome, too.

Dave Ellefson (Megadeth) — Here's a guy who understands what it means to play in the rhythm section with authority. Nothing really flashy, but without him Megadeth would have been just mega-dead.

King Elvis said:
Are you saying John Deacon is OVERRATED???

Hell no. I take my hat off for him out of great respect. (Why else would I do that?) Read the other posts. This thread isn't just about overrated bass players.

juststartingout said:
While I do like Gene and hold him in high regards, I think Paul Stanley was the best in the band. His vocals were perhaps one of the best I have ever heard.

By the way, did anyone catch Gene on holywood squares. I guess we all need to make money somewhere.

I heard Gene Simmons was originally a marketing guy, and the main originator of Kiss. Marketing guys will stoop pretty low for money.

clifchamb said:
Although Les Claypool is way overated, he does have his own teqnique and style but I find his music to really unlistenable. He is however identifyable to the non bass playing masses. Every show when I play a little slap lick, people go hey! "Can you play any PRIMUS?" or "You SOUND JUST LIKE LES CLAYPOOL!"

clif

He took it to a new level brother!

Who's the bassist of Deep Purple who also sang the high notes ? He's underrated. Sting is underrated. McCartney is... no he's fair. Bill Wyman was underrated. Bill never get attention because he wasn't that much lunatic like other bandmate on stage, but his work is absolutelly great. Actually, like football and anything in life, I hate player who plays out of line. Stay there where you're needed. Bassist (most of them) should be the BASE of the music. Keep the bottom line of the music. It's good to hear you there, and we'll gladly have you a part to get up in time. If you insist to be in the front... sorry, but you're suck. :D

Who's the bassist of Deep Purple who also sang the high notes:

Glenn Hughes

I know it's about overrated bass players...

Underrated ;)
Phil Lynott
Roger Glover
John Paul Jones
The guy of the old Simple Minds
Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

Back