Holy crap, just got my '65 Epi back!

pikingrin

what is this?
First, and foremost, if any of you live in the northeast part of Indiana (Auburn / Ft Wayne area) I'm going to have to throw out a recommendation for a shop up there in Auburn called Guitar Infirmary. (Not sure if the shout out is kosher, mods can delete if it crosses a line - I don't work there if that makes a difference.)

This guy has set up (fixed) a number of my electrics (great rate - changed the nut and set up my ES135 for less than $50) and most recently did some major repair work on my '65 Epiphone FT45N that was unplayable. $170 got the Epiphone playable and a '70s Pan Hummingbird copy playable as well. The Epi had 3 cracks in the top spanning the width of the bridge and had an unplayable neck due to some warping that happened in the hands of the previous owner. Got it back on Friday, after about 5 weeks of waiting, and it plays like a dream.
Cortez.JPG
I'm fairly certain that this little concert body projects more than any of my other guitars including my Taylor 314CE and a Martin D-15M, as well as a few lower-costing acoustics.

I'm curious if the vintage has something to do with it; is it possible that wood, as it ages, can actually become better at producing sound and projecting it out of the soundhole?

Also curious if there is any thread already started for acoustic tones - would this be acceptable to throw into the tone thread?

That's awesome man! Good looking instrument. It's so good to know a good repairman, nothing like finding someone that can work that kind of magic. Great news that it plays and sounds good.

There have been a few acoustic tones posted in the tone thread, nothing wrong with posting there.

I'm curious if the vintage has something to do with it; is it possible that wood, as it ages, can actually become better at producing sound and projecting it out of the soundhole?

Yup. Besides the aging factor, they used better mahogany then, usually better spruce also.

Glad you got it taken care of. Love happy endings. :thumbs up:

That's awesome man! Good looking instrument. It's so good to know a good repairman, nothing like finding someone that can work that kind of magic. Great news that it plays and sounds good.

There have been a few acoustic tones posted in the tone thread, nothing wrong with posting there.
Dude, that's the truth... Some things I can do myself but I'm not a luthier by any stretch of the imagination. This guy builds acoustics, plays/builds bass guitars and can set up an electric exactly per your specs (as long as YOU know what you want). It took a while to properly rehydrate the Epi body to get the cracks repaired but now, as I play it, if it would have taken longer I wouldn't have cared. Went there once on a whim and that's my spot now; moving up there next year and already have a good connection - so awesome.

I am thinking of doing an acoustic shootout of sorts for the tone threaders...if it would even matter I don't know. Same mics, placement, etc, 4-5 different acoustics both older and brand new, just to see how they sound recorded. It would at least be a fun exercise in mic technique at the very least.

Congrats, great to see new life breathed into an old guitar. I'm glad I read this post as it got me thinking about a guitar that has been on my wall for over 20 years. It's a great sounding instrument but needs a really good set up for it to play well, so I haven't bothered with it. I think I will now having just found out a little more about it. I googled it a few years ago and and found them for sale used for not much money so have nearly given it away a couple of times, taken it out to venues where I wouldn't want to have a valuable guitar and basically disregarded it aside from a wall adornment. I just checked it out again and there are two versions of this guitar with its bolt on neck, one made in the east which is not worth a whole lot and the version I have, which having just checked the internal label is made in Michigan US.

So, yes I think I'll invest a little in this guitar and start using it.

FT140US.jpg

I have an old early 70's FG-75 Yamaha, the guitar I basically learned to play on. The guitar had been everywhere with me. I absolutely loved that little guitar, but it had become unplayable.....a bit of a neck twist and quite a bit of bow. Just for the hell of it I put it in the hands of a luthier. For a hundred bucks and some change I got it back better than it had ever played. I was amazed, and thrilled. Never count 'em out.

Congrats on a real beauty you have there. Always good when you can rejuvenate an older guitar.

I just picked up my 1st 60's Gibson Acoustic last week.

I think mine is the Gibson version of you Epi.

It's a 1965 Gibson LG-0, and it's also in need of some TLC

The bridge is plastic on these and usually changed out.

I think it' worth putting a few dollars into it because it is a pretty decent sounding little acoustic.

Here's some pics of mine:

20750086349_92d5f19f92_b.jpg
20314249374_015a84573a_b.jpg

I have an old early 70's FG-75 Yamaha, the guitar I basically learned to play on. The guitar had been everywhere with me. I absolutely loved that little guitar, but it had become unplayable.....a bit of a neck twist and quite a bit of bow. Just for the hell of it I put it in the hands of a luthier. For a hundred bucks and some change I got it back better than it had ever played. I was amazed, and thrilled. Never count 'em out.

True story - never count them out. For the longest time I had heard that it would decrease the value of the Epi so I never did anything with it. Turns out I'm not ever going to sell it anyway so what the hell, why not.

Tex, that does look a lot like the Gibson version of my Epi. Both were probably made in the same factory in Kalamazoo, MI, I would imagine. If it's anything like mine then you will love how it plays once you get it back in shape! Very nice guitar!

Back