Higher wattage speaker character and balancing my rig

Alanfc

The nature of the High Watt speaker is..?

I ask because I'm getting a 2x12 to connect to my Rivera R55, which has a Celestion G12T-85. I've read volumes about the traits of every speaker out there, but how to compare to what I have ? I know what I THINK it sounds like.

So could anyone give me a character sketch of the G12T85?(or high wattage speakers in general)
As it relates to all those other models/makers out there?

I'm thinking of putting speakers with a heavy to moderately heavy low end in the 2 x 12. I would be running all 3 speakers here. For pop-rock to hard rock tones, and occasional cleans.

I have been gathering info on high watt speaker character to understand better. I 'm thinking that if the higher wattage speaker has one trait, then I'd load my 2x12 with another character to balance it.

here below are some quotes I gathered on High wattage speakers:
----
I love my THD 2x12 with CL80s. It's been surprisingly great with some clean heads, but I bought to tame my Marshall 30th Anny. Punch is where it's at! If I can get the master cooking, I have to watch myself to not step on the bass players nuts
----------------------------------------
I have a couple of classic lead80's in my marshall 1936. they are great speakers and have a nice bass response. They don't have the fizz of a vintage 30 and tend to be a cleaner speaker overall
------------------------------------------
The 75s are a bit harsh, and I don't really care for them personally; but they will work fine.
---------------------------------------------
I actually use a semi-closed back 1x12 and the sound is big with no lack of bottom end..I like it better than the Marshall 4x12 I used when testing the amp. I've got a Celestion G12H-100 in the 1x12, sweet speaker IMO
----------------------------------------------
The G12M70's have a great eq across the freq bands, low, mids, and highs. If you like a heavy but clear lead tone, I don't think you can go wrong. The V30's by comparison sound much more fuzzy.
--------------------------------------------------
To me, it sounds very tight on the low and and highgain clarity is awsome. I personanly like them. The highs dont cut your head off..
-----------------------------------------------------
but when i teamed it up with the 70/80's cab i get tons of clarity and a nice thick bottom. If i were going just to get one cab, get the 70/80's
-----------------------------------------------------------
The Celestion G12T-75s are other speakers that I think sound very good. They are bashed all the time on these forums for scooping out the mids, but I think they do a great job of taming highs and giving you nice bottom end on a high gain amp.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Celestion Classic Lead 80 is probably the best for what you're thinking of. It's super fat and smooth
------------------------------------------------------
I love my THD 2x12 with CL80s. It's been surprisingly great with some clean heads, but I bought to tame my Marshall 30th Anny. Punch is where it's at! If I can get the master cooking, I have to watch myself to not step on the bass players nuts
---------------------------------

I THINK I see a trend toward clarity and punch.... so in order to have the whole package (my 85-watt 1x12 punchy top, and then low end/warmth from my 2x12), I would want a lower wattage pair of speakers for the 2x12?

thanks

Back