Higher wattage G12H30 replacement?

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
I'm not familiar with every brand/model guitar speaker out there...so I'm wondering if anyone knows which ones would be almost a direct tonal replacement for a Celestion G12H30 but with at least 50W capacity.

I know Weber has a couple models that are possible direct replacements...but I was also wondering about other brands.

I like the G12H30 tone for one of my amps...but the amp kicks out 45W, while the G12H30 is only a 30W speaker.

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/productreview--CELVINT3008

Right here man, I got a 4x12 with these, sounds fn awesome. Less scoop, more mids than any other guitar speakers I ever had.

Yeah...but that's a V30.

They don't really sound the same as a G12H30 which has a more balanced and smoother overall sound.

I see that Eminence has a lot of speaker choices, though they never directly compare any of their models to the Celestion line...they just have the descriptions and sounds samples (which are not very revealing). I was hoping someone has actually compared some hands-on.

I already have a bunch of extra speakers I'm not using piling up in my closet...don't need to add to the collection! :D

Maybe you could add a 2nd g12h30 if your amp has switchable impedance. Or you could get a 16 ohm speaker if your amp pushes 45w into 8 or something... Or is this a 1x12 combo? What other speaker would sound exactly the same besides another g12h30. What about g12h60 g12h75 g12h100 etc? Couldnt tell you how they sound compared to g12h30 but they're the same family of speakers..

It's a 112 combo...so I'm looking for a single 50-60W speaker that has a smooth/warm high end.

The Wizard sounds pretty good on their sound clips...but the tone chart has it listed as AGRESSIVE for several values...so I'm not sure how smooth it's going to be for my application.

The Dr Z Prescription ES that I just recently got came with a Celestion Gold.
Now I have a Gold I use for one of my other amps, and it sounds great...but with the Rx ES the high end is just way too glassy with lots of chime and an almost brittle quality...and then there's also a bit too much low end.

So...when I plugged the same amp into a G12H30 Avatar cab I have...it sounded the best....less boom in the low end and those sharp highs were smoothed out.
The Rx Es is a 45W amp...so I couldn't use the G12H30 for any live gig that needed some kick, but in the studio I can get by with it for the time being until I find a suitable speaker that can handle the full wattage.

Nobody can tell you what speakers sound like. You wont be satisfied until you just start buying speakers, trying them, and selling the ones you dont like. If you dont hear them for yourself, then you will always have to settle for someone else's idea of your perfect tone, regardless of how accurate our descriptions may be.

Everybody told me the Tone Tubby Superboy 10 inch bass speaker would suck for guitar, but it's the best 10 incher I've ever had. I would never have known if I hadn't just bought one to hear for myself.

Nobody can tell you what speakers sound like. You wont be satisfied until you just start buying speakers, trying them, and selling the ones you dont like. If you dont hear them for yourself, then you will always have to settle for someone else's idea of your perfect tone, regardless of how accurate our descriptions may be.

Everybody told me the Tone Tubby Superboy 10 inch bass speaker would suck for guitar, but it's the best 10 incher I've ever had. I would never have known if I hadn't just bought one to hear for myself.

I get what you are saying, but I was not asking for tone opinons or suggestions for just any "good" speaker, as I'm already decided on a G12H30 speaker...and that being a fairly well known speaker, I was wondering if those people who know it, might also know of a higher wattage replacement that still sounds like.........a G12H30. :)

Back