Guitars with smaller scale necks

You can "shorten" the scale of any guitar- tune down one full note and capo on the second fret. Instant shorter scale! All frets are just a little closer.

another factor that makes les pauls so great to play is that they are pretty much flat frets and fretboard (across the width)..so u can bend a low action string without getting buzzing .

the jag and jazz have a more pronounced curve so the action can never rival that of a les paul.

musicmans are quite flat as well ..and the jumbo frets help.

the jags fretwire is quite a thin gauge and not as easy to play...imo.

I suggest you try some of the Music Man models. They are not as short as a Les Paul but certainly feel that way minus the fat neck. I like Strats and Les Pauls and the Silhouette or Axis Sport (don't remember) that I recently played came close to being a great in-between thing yet with its own characteristics and sounds. It felt great and from all I know they are very good quality (probably "better" than your ESP). I think they get overlooked too often or people just go after the signature models for other reasons.

the great thing about the musicman silouette is that for some strange reason it doesnt command high secondhand prices but i swear that my maple neck model is as playable as my custom les paul and quality wise its the same...but at a fraction of the price.

there are a lot of these guitars being used on the pro live music scene because of that very reason.

and the trem assembly is totally rock solid....like a straight stop.

ridiculous bang for your buck.

Back