Guitar recording, distortion and buzz

It doesn't have a metal plate where the knobs and pots are attached ?? Or are you saying the cavity is un-shielded??"

Yes, the control plate is chromed metal but none of the cavities or wired are shielded.

Dave.

Greetings new person from another new person,
My name is Jerome but I've been called Jerry most of my life. I'm a 58 year old guitar head from the 70's who's still at it.
I recently researched this issue because I have the same problem you described. I do have some ac issues in my recording room, some ballast operated lights, etc. I used Humm Eliminators (they work well for AC) and got my interface/recording software when armed and recording to be quiet as a church mouse...........until I'm recording my guitar. I have an Marshall 15W combo amp. When I record with my Les Paul, I like to hop up the gain if that's the sound I'm looking for.
The article I read (found it on google) said gain noise is something you have to find a balance for and learn to live with. According to the article there is no getting rid of the noise it makes without turning down your gain channel. They suggested backing off the gain and upping the main volume. They said so long as you cannot hear the noise while you're playing, and it's only present when you are not, that is the best you can hope for. I'm going to try to erase the gain noise from the track when I finish recording, have it quiet up till the point where the guitar enters. I've read that as a suggestion in a few posts, I just don't know how to do it yet.
I'm new to computer recording, and I'm hoping erasing the noise won't cause the rest of the track to 'shift' on the timeline, taking it out of sink.
Google it. Here's one link. I would read others too, this one makes some suggestions like blanketing your amp, which kills your sound.
4 Ways to Deal with Noise in a Mix | Home Studio Corner
Good luck. If you find a solution, drop me a line, let me know what you did? I'll do the same. You can email me at whoknowsY@comcast.net
If I find a better solution than I have now (I've turned down the gain a little, upped the volume), I'll try to pass it along.

Back