Guitar rack plans?

Thanks. I did want to see any that people here had built themselves, though.

Specifically guitar and guitar case racks for home, not for amps and rack gear or stuff for the road.

I have always wanted a setup bench/cabinet, though. I've though of buying an appropriately sized rolling tool drawer unit, but I can't afford that for even my regular tools. I've got a friend that's a hellacious woodworker, and I've thought about havnig him build me one, but he's pretty busy with his own projects.
Dude, if you are willing to pay for the materials I could totally put together a stand or two like that String Swing Miro suggested. Depending on how many you need (equally proportional to how many gits you want out at a time), it'd probably only take a weekend unless you wanted them stained and sealed and all that.

Dirt and dust and cat fur in my house means no leaving guitars out when not in use. Space is the other consideration. I built a freestanding cabinet 5 ft high, 2 1x10s deep, wide enough to fit the space on wall wall between the open doorway and perpendicular wall. Used laminated finish MDF so I didn't have to do any more than cut everything to length, then used some 1x2s to screw evernything together. Guitars (in cases) are kept stacked in it (vertical). there's a shelf inside for accesoories, and the top is anotehr storage area. Then I got two more acoustic and now there's not enough room in it for everything! :facepalm:

Dirt and dust and cat fur in my house means no leaving guitars out when not in use.

I've got two cats...when I'm in the studio, they're in there with me. They love the studio. They know when I'm getting ready to go in there, and they run down ahead of me and sit in front of the door. :D
I created a raised platform, in a corner, above a rack...and they both hop/climb up there and will sleep there the whole time I'm recording. Drums and very loud guitar leads are about the only thing that might get them to leave.

Honestly...I don't get any more dust in there than anywhere else in the house...I mean, no matter what, I have to vac/dust in there just like everywhere else...and I've not noticed anything outstanding on the guitars. With them out and hanging, it's easy to run the vac over them. I have a smaller brush with extra long, soft bristles that I only use in the studio on the gear.

Space is the other consideration.

Then I got two more acoustic and now there's not enough room in it for everything! :facepalm:

See...that's the thing with racks and cabinets....a little bit of GAS comes along... and you got no more room! :D
I just put up another wall hanger when a new guitar comes along.
I got about 2/3 of my usable wall space used up. :facepalm: :p

Dirt and dust and cat fur in my house means no leaving guitars out when not in use. Space is the other consideration. I built a freestanding cabinet 5 ft high, 2 1x10s deep, wide enough to fit the space on wall wall between the open doorway and perpendicular wall. Used laminated finish MDF so I didn't have to do any more than cut everything to length, then used some 1x2s to screw evernything together. Guitars (in cases) are kept stacked in it (vertical). there's a shelf inside for accesoories, and the top is anotehr storage area. Then I got two more acoustic and now there's not enough room in it for everything! :facepalm:

Well, first off, I'm going to do something that's two-tiered, pretty much floor to ceiling. And more than one. And I don't want them too big, so that I can move them around as I change layouts.

And thanks for the offer Brownsburg. I think I'm going to give this one a go myself. Besides, assuming I do it in the near future, I'll probably be using it in Terre Haute anyway, so why make extra trips to haul it back here?

Just once, I'd like to have all my shit in one place at the same time AND organized instead of one huge pile.

My thinking out loud guitar is on a stand and the rest are in their cases until required.

Back