Guitar picks, whaddya use???

minerman

Tonetard
Ok, since we've had a thread about strings, what do you guys use for picks, or does it really matter to you???? I've used these Dunop picks since about 1986 or 1987:

TortexStandard-alt-3okP5.png

[video]https://homerecording.com/bbs/special-forums/homerecording-and-audiofanzine-feedback/we-need-what-plectrum-board-377707/[/video]

You know man, I remember when I was a kid, about 9 or so, Mom & Dad had bought me a little acoustic, I kept losing my picks....Me & my Dad made me a handful out of an empty 2-liter coke bottle....:)

I figured you'd use a heavier pick Greg....

I figured you'd use a heavier pick Greg....

No that's about the heaviest I use. I actually most often use my band's custom picks, I have about 10,000 of them, and I have no idea how thick they are. They're a little thinner than the Green Tortex, and a little harder, but they don't break or crack. They sound real crisp and I can blaze my stupid powerchords really good with them. They're about like the yellow tortex you use. I don't like heavy picks.

51HSryQTOhL._SY355_.jpg

Snarling Dogs, I have very dry hands and the rigid area helps me to hang on to them.

Do you guys play with the points or the rounded edges?

Round edges here. Less bright than the point.

Ok, since we've had a thread about strings, what do you guys use for picks, or does it really matter to you???? I've used these Dunop picks since about 1986 or 1987:

I've tried all kinds...and these new Tortex III picks are my favorite.
Same material and thickness as what you use, only they have a slightly different shape in the sides, and the sharper point, both which really work great for lead playing.

Try it out...I bet you like them more than the standard Tortex. :)

TortexIII.jpg

Do you guys play with the points or the rounded edges?

Round edges here. Less bright than the point.
When I loose about five thousandths off the point, it's gone.
Similar to why I could never hang with 'nylons- on top of the tips feather edge', they get looser soon as the warm up.
:drunk:

same as I've used for 35 years.
heavy .... standard fender shape ..... round end

Attachments

• pic pic3.jpg
    pic pic3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I use as heavy as possible. A thin or medium pick lasts me about half a song and it's broken.

If I can't find a pick a dime or a penny will suffice

Last edited:
I use as heavy as possible. A thin or medium pick lasts me about half a song and it's broken.

If I can't find a pick a dime or a penny will suffice
Yeah, I can use a nickel if necessary.
I had a machinest friend who made me a slide out of titanium (which I still use ) .... and a pick exactly the size, thickness and shape of my wondercow picks.

The titanium pick was the most awesomest pick in the history of picks!!!

I lost it in a week. :mad:

:D

Green, orange or yellow Tortex, depending upon what I'm playing + big thick 1mm red ones for bass.

Bought a dozen of each about 5 years ago and still have most of them...

Mutley: Sorry I didn't see your thread about this man, feel like an idiot....:o

I use the rounded side of my pick, with the point toward my palm, just seems more natural for me, been doing it that way for years now...For some reason it's easier for me to get the pinch harmonics this way too, I had to throw that in there, 'cause I know the Gerg loves pinch harmonics & 80's buttrock guitar licks/tricks....:laughings:

DM60: I have a hard time holding onto my picks at times too man, I might have to try some of those, as my hands/fingers are really dry too....not only that, I'm pretty sure carpal tunnel & arthritis both are setting in on me from all the years of using the remote control box on a continuous miner...

I'm pretty sure carpal tunnel & arthritis both are setting in on me from all the years of using the remote control box on a continuous miner...

Where does it hurt?

I'm currently going to a "hand therapist" to treat tendonosis - which is a more common overuse injury that manifests anywhere from wrist to elbow and sometimes in all places at once... but carpal tunnel syndrome it ain't and arthritis it ain't, and in theory I should recover... if I just keep doing these damn stretches and isometric exercises..:(

Worth checking out - don't assume it's the beginning of the end and it's all downhill from here... ;)

Back