Guitar picks, whaddya use???

I've tried from thin to very thick...and I've settled on the yellow/.73mm picks as the perfect pick for me, especially the Tortex III that I mentioned above, with it's more bowed sides and sharper point.

I don't use the picks in the "flat" position, which is why I don't need anything thicker/stiffer. I tend to play with the pick half-way on-edge, and only a very small amount of the tip showing and hitting the strings, and with the pick on edge like that I am simultaneously also able to pluck the string with the my finger. So basically...I'm often hitting the strings with with pick & fingertip, which has a specific sound, compared to just one or the other.
When I need to get some faster licks in...I can easily turn the pick more toward a flatter position and just work with the tip of the pick and no fingertip.
Playing that way has also made it very easy for me to play with just my fingertip, and no pick...which I do often, while holding the pick in-between my teeth. :D

Playing guitar that way also helped me with finger picking the bass as opposed to using a felt pick, which I used in the beginning when I first tried playing a bass. Now I'm strictly fingers...unles I want some real prominent attack, then I'll use a felt or rubber pick.

Guitar picks

Ok, since we've had a thread about strings, what do you guys use for picks, or does it really matter to you???? I've used these Dunop picks since about 1986 or 1987:

I was fortunate to have performed for 5 years, 50 weeks a year at a live music venue, so I experimented a lot with picks. I had always used Tortex .50 or .60. One night I was about to go onstage for an SRV number (a tribute) and I was scrambling in my dressing room trying to find a pick.....anyway, I grabbed this really thick 1.00 I had never used before. It was great! The immediate response not having to wait for the pick to reflex back was just what I wanted. I switched that night to 1.00 Tortex and haven't looked back. I did try the stone picks but they seemed to make a noticeable tone change. A "clicking" sound., Too metallic for me. For acoustic I still use the .50. When recording, I will use a thin pick on acoustic if I am capo'ing or want an airy bright sound. Tj Smith : the King Of Voices Tj Smith : the King Of Voices

I play both bass and guitar in several projects. i always use Dunlop-Max Grip .73mm for guitar & 1.0mm for bass. You can usually find a good price on ebay if you buy them by the bag, 72 per bag.

When I do use a pick, it has to be heavy because I can't have the damn thing flopping around. I can use the blue tortex (1mm), but I prefer the purple (1.14mm). A few years ago I found out that they actually sell the entire Tortex line - all the same material and different thicknesses - in black. They call them Pitch Black. Sounded like a great idea, especially when I was in a goth band, except that when you drop them on a stage, they're just plain fucking gone!
This^^^ Now that I actually pulled my guitar out of the case, I'm using the 1.14. I remember having a bunch of 2mm, but now I doubt that I bought a gross of them. It had to be the 1.14's.

I don't choke up on the pick and I was playing relatively fast metal, so having a floppy pick would force larger hand movements, which would slow me down and make the playing less precise. (more than usual)

1907952_10201858415483847_1956396657812752132_n.jpg
I've been using Gravity Guitar Picks for about a year now.
(The big orange one on the top left of the pile in particular - Sunrise standard 2mm masterfinish).

They're a little pricey, but I like them.
I didn't think I'd like really heavy picks since I used .88 and .60mm tortex for years, but I ordered a sample pack from gravity (before they changed the ordering system) and was surprised how well the 2mm with the grip hole feels.

I'm not a big fan of the way the master finished thick acrylic sounds on acoustic though - the attack is overwhelming.
So, I either use the thinner ones, or pick up a tortex.

If I had stupid amounts of money I'd buy some custom picks from dunlop.
No idea what I'd do with 800 picks. And I'd have terrible buyer remorse over spending $250 on them.
But at least I wouldn't have to worry about buying picks ever again.

This is a very special plectrum that I'd never consider using. I can only assume it was supposed to be a Christmas Present to me from my Mum in 2013 that never made it in time, as I knew nothing about it. The engraving is my initials. I found it in her Mobile Phone Case the day she died. I'd carried it around with me all that day (I used her phone to get numbers of people I had to ring to inform them of her death) and I never looked at the crumpled up, little brown bag tucked away in there, until the evening. Both devastating and wonderful feelings at the same time. (The Brandy helped immensely)

I've thought about having it made into some kind of neck chain or something but I don't really want to spoil it with a hole. I kept it in my pocket for nearly a year but for the fear of losing it, it now resides on my desk.

Bless her, she was awesome! :thumbs up:

Image00001.jpg

If I can't find a pick, I use my fingers and don't whine about it. It always freaks me out when you're at an open mic or a house jam and some dude is like "Hey, ya' got a pick? I need a pick."

When I do use a pick, it has to be heavy because I can't have the damn thing flopping around. I can use the blue tortex (1mm), but I prefer the purple (1.14mm). A few years ago I found out that they actually sell the entire Tortex line - all the same material and different thicknesses - in black. They call them Pitch Black. Sounded like a great idea, especially when I was in a goth band, except that when you drop them on a stage, they're just plain fucking gone!

When I started, I had a big ass heavy stainless steel pick, and I used to get the ones (I think Dunlop made...) that are standard shaped and really heavy, but I can't find them anymore. The best I could find recently was the heavy Fender steel picks, which are really a little too flimsy, but made a real difference for the Big Black tribute show I did a couple weeks back.

Black picks....
Man, a black pick, on top of a black tolex covered amp, is a bitch to find on a dark nightclub stage. You end up sweeping your hand across the top of the amp and knock it off on the stage floor...
Like you said, once it hits the floor it's gone.

I have went through that so many times. The dark tortoise she'll fender picks are just as bad as black.

I had switched to those bright florescent orange colored picks when I was still gigging.
You can even find them on the floor in the dark.
Lol

This is a very special plectrum that I'd never consider using. I can only assume it was supposed to be a Christmas Present to me from my Mum in 2013 that never made it in time, as I knew nothing about it. The engraving is my initials. I found it in her Mobile Phone Case the day she died. I'd carried it around with me all that day (I used her phone to get numbers of people I had to ring to inform them of her death) and I never looked at the crumpled up, little brown bag tucked away in there, until the evening. Both devastating and wonderful feelings at the same time. (The Brandy helped immensely)

I've thought about having it made into some kind of neck chain or something but I don't really want to spoil it with a hole. I kept it in my pocket for nearly a year but for the fear of losing it, it now resides on my desk.

how about looking into having it encased in plastic and drilling a hole in that ?

View attachment 91906
Thats really cool. I wouldn't put a hole in it either. You could probably have a jewler fashion a pick shaped mount of some kind, with a chain, that it could slide into.
my mom is gone too...5 years ago. I still miss her a lot.

WP_20150301_001.jpg

My daughter has a thing called a Pick Punch...you use it to make picks out of old gift cards and stuff. It can be entertaining (for me at least) cause I was using my wife's drivers license...with the picture!

Last night I used picks from Tim Hortons gift cards...they make great coffee but lousy picks...the 4 on the top didn't even make 2 sets. The drivers license on the bottom is quite nice...lasted a while. The metal pick is great...but it is odd cause I can feel the weight and it chews the strings. The Jangle pick is a heavy from a friend....

I go through a lot of picks...the Fender mediums usually last a set or so...

View attachment 91906

You should put a hole and jump ring on it if that enables you to use it as a keepsake. Lets face it she probably wouldn't mind, you would have it close by, and you could still use it as a plectrum. Thats probably what I'd do. but it's your call... The only thing about having it nearby permanently for me would be losing it.

how about looking into having it encased in plastic and drilling a hole in that ?

Interesting idea. Thanks :thumbs up:

Thats really cool. I wouldn't put a hole in it either. You could probably have a jewler fashion a pick shaped mount of some kind, with a chain, that it could slide into.

Not a bad idea jimi :thumbs up:

The only thing with a chain is I think I would be too nervous to wear it for the fear of losing it. Paranoia I know, but these things do happen. The idea of a mount/stand for it I could go with though. Maybe in a little glass display case or something.

Food for thought there, thank you. :thumbs up:

my mom is gone too...5 years ago. I still miss her a lot.

It's shite, isn't it. It's only just over a year for my Mum. Still getting used to her not being around.

You should put a hole and jump ring on it if that enables you to use it as a keepsake. Lets face it she probably wouldn't mind, you would have it close by, and you could still use it as a plectrum. Thats probably what I'd do. but it's your call... The only thing about having it nearby permanently for me would be losing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is was she was planning to do. She obviously had it for a while after Christmas and still hadn't given it to me. She died on the 8th Jan, which is when I came across it. So maybe she was slowly getting round to it, maybe even for a birthday present later in the year. I'll never know anyway. Even my Dad had no idea about it, she told no one.

I suppose I could have some kind of shaped, outer case for it fashioned with a ring through that and then a chain. (A bit like the rubber surround on Military Dog Tags but in a metal) I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to having a hole put through it. I like the idea of a mount/stand and then display it. At least that way it'll always be safe.

Good ideas. Thanks :thumbs up:

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread with miserable talk.

Feel for you 'Mr Clean' - horrible experience :(

I lost my mum suddenly in March last year (couple of weeks till the dreaded 1 year anniversiary), then 6 months later, in October 2014,the old man went as well. Both only in their 60's. Makes you think, and re-evaluate things that's for sure!

That's one of the reasons that I bought myself a lovely new Gibson guitar - bloody live for today, as you never know what's just around the corner.

Double appologies for adding more miserable talk, to the already miserable talk :facepalm:

I doesn't matter. I've even used match book covers ripped and folded, cigarette boxes.

But I prefer real picks. I just don't like flimsy ones.

Back