Guitar picks, whaddya use???

Where does it hurt?
From my wrists to the tips of my fingers sometimes man....sometimes my fingers cramp up, won't bend, & I have a hard time gripping onto anything, it's hard to explain, but I've noticed it's getting worse though...AFAIK, arthritis doesn't run on either side of my family, but that doesn't mean anything, & I do know what I've done for a living for the past 25 years hasn't helped anything with my health...

Mutley: Sorry I didn't see your thread about this man, feel like an idiot....:o

You shouldn't. It was a thread to make a point that we have too many boards here already and it seems these days anyone with a niche seems to want to add more.

I still use tortoise shell and ivory picks BTW... Has any one seen my Elephant round here...?

1mm dunlop nylon picks. I start with the point but when playing rhythm for more than a couple of minutes they tend to rotate around in my fingers.

Fender Heavy for the last 40 years. When the point wears out, I throw it out.
In the winter when my skin is dry, I have a hard time holding onto them. Bought a package of Monster Grips though their kickstarter, work pretty good.

I've been using these for at least 25 years.

Pick.jpg

Since I've been playing a lot of slide recently I also use my fingers too.

Bill L

I've used Tortex 1.14 (purple) on electric guitar for as long as I can remember. I like heavy picks on electric guitars.

For acoustic I really like the Tortex Sharp .73 (Yellow). Something about how that sharp point snaps across acoustic strings...I can't use anything else.

Yeah, I can use a nickel if necessary.
I had a machinest friend who made me a slide out of titanium (which I still use ) .... and a pick exactly the size, thickness and shape of my wondercow picks.

The titanium pick was the most awesomest pick in the history of picks!!!

I lost it in a week. :mad:

:D

Yeah, I've used a nickel too.
Man, a titanium pick would be really cool. I used to really like Dunlop picks, they don't wear down like the fenders. A fender heavy pick is a great pick for one night of 4 sets. The point will be mostly worn off after 4 sets and I throw then in the trash at that point. Dunlop picks will.wear but not nearly as fast as the fender. I think the Dunlop is nylon and the fender is plastic. I'm not positive on that but I know on the thinner picks the fender will crack but not the dunlop.

That all being said, as far as a brand new pick with zero wear, I have yet to see one beat the feel of a fender heavy. I use the round edge on some things (pinch harmonics and grabbing the high notes on blues solos) and I use the pointed end for other things (fast lead guitar runs and most of my rhythm guitar work). I also use my bare finger tips in conjunction with a pick on almost everything I play. The only thing I like lighter picks on is acoustic guitar work. I actually prefer mediums for acoustic

Fender Heavy for the last 40 years. When the point wears out, I throw it out.
In the winter when my skin is dry, I have a hard time holding onto them. Bought a package of Monster Grips though their kickstarter, work pretty good.
I tried the grip picks and while easier to hold they were harder to rotate to alternate between the round edge and the pointed edge. Also, the hard rigid plastic has a better feel then the more flexible nylon in my opinion.
I can use any of them though

I use Dunlop .60s and have about a half a hundred of them on my desk. They wear pretty quick, but I prefer a lighter pick (or my fingers). Tried a DAVA, but only figured out how to break strings with the silly thing. Seemed like a good idea. I might try some heavier picks since most of you seem to like them. Nobody uses triangles?

I use Dunlop .60s and have about a half a hundred of them on my desk. They wear pretty quick, but I prefer a lighter pick (or my fingers). Tried a DAVA, but only figured out how to break strings with the silly thing. Seemed like a good idea. I might try some heavier picks since most of you seem to like them. Nobody uses triangles?
since I use the back end or round end of a pick a triangle would be useless.
Actually ..... if someone made a round pick about the size of a quarter ..... that'd be perfect.

Whatever I can find kicking around the house, or in various jeans pockets. I have them everywhere, my favorite place to 100% find one every time, is down the side of the sofa where I tend to sit and play.

They all end up knackered anyway:

2mqq614.jpg

I always use nylon dunlop picks and I can honestly say I've never broken on. I've barely even seen significant wear on them! Ok, I do keep an ashtray on top of my amp with about 10 in there and lose them regularly so maybe I don't get the chance to wear them.

Pretty much same here JDOD, I've got a bunch on my desk, & probably never grab the same one when I'm playing, so they never wear out....I've got a few cheap picks that my ex-wife got me when I first started back playing about 6 years ago...I keep mine in a little Marlboro ashtray on my desk, pretty handy 'cause I'm usually sitting in front of my the desk when I play/record, within arm's length of everything...

I bought a gross of 2mm dunlop picks in 1988. I just had to buy more a couple years ago. I probably lost most of them, since I have played much in the last 10 years.

DUNLAP .48MM white ribbed look like old Tupperware :-) They work great on acoustic electric and my Tele & Strat. For a Martin straight acoustic with medium strings, one needs a little heavier stiffer but NEVER, NEVER A THICK. How can you guys play with those thick pieces of stuff? Might as well use a credit card? and... for sure, the heavy plastic thumb and .016 ga steel finger picks on my Do Bro.

I used to use Hotlicks copper picks by Dunlop. They would last for about six months and didn't seem to slip around in your fingers. I don't think they make them anymore. I now use Cat's tongue brain picks.

Techplayer

If I can't find a pick, I use my fingers and don't whine about it. It always freaks me out when you're at an open mic or a house jam and some dude is like "Hey, ya' got a pick? I need a pick."

When I do use a pick, it has to be heavy because I can't have the damn thing flopping around. I can use the blue tortex (1mm), but I prefer the purple (1.14mm). A few years ago I found out that they actually sell the entire Tortex line - all the same material and different thicknesses - in black. They call them Pitch Black. Sounded like a great idea, especially when I was in a goth band, except that when you drop them on a stage, they're just plain fucking gone!

When I started, I had a big ass heavy stainless steel pick, and I used to get the ones (I think Dunlop made...) that are standard shaped and really heavy, but I can't find them anymore. The best I could find recently was the heavy Fender steel picks, which are really a little too flimsy, but made a real difference for the Big Black tribute show I did a couple weeks back.

Back