guitar pedals

ollie99

Hi guys,
haven't been on here in a while but a question came up so here I am.
It is my birthday at the end of this month and I have decided to start building my collection of guitar pedals (well actually I already have a wah). However I have a very limited knowledge on pedals so I am basically asking for any ideas to what I should get! I'm not sure what sort of pedals I want although my amp is a marshall dsl 401 so I am quite happy with the overall sound at the moment, just looking for add ons really. I think my maximum price is about £150 so I'm guessing either 1 very nice pedal or 2 just not as expensive pedals
Thanks for any help

I did forget to mention that I'm sorry about how vague my question is, but Im thinking I don't really need an overdrive. I also meant to ask what people think I should buy next in terms of type of pedal rather than specific pedal.
I did have the idea of an octave pedal actually cos they sound soooo cool :)

Check out the ZCat Q-Mod. It's four modulation effects plus reverb in one box - lots of fun and the effects are of decent quality too.

Some other pedals that are fun to have are loopers (not true bypass loopers, but phrase samplers) and delay pedals. In fact, many delay pedals such as the DD-7 have built-in loopers.

I also like to have a volume pedal on my board, but that's just me. A clean solo boost pedal can be useful too.

I think I will get a chorus pedal because I realise that that is what makes the really cool sound in loads of metal songs and stuff ya know? I looked around a bit and the boss ch-1 and ce-5's both look good but which one is better? I couldn't really figure out the difference really?

Lol, no man, it's a fine question. It's just that chorus is the one effect I truly despise. I know that doesn't matter. You buy what you want. I just try to banish chorus to the depths of hell whenever I can.

Lol, no man, it's a fine question. It's just that chorus is the one effect I truly despise. I know that doesn't matter. You buy what you want. I just try to banish chorus to the depths of hell whenever I can.

oh I see hahaha :)

I'd go with a Flanger and Delay first rather than a Chorus. Then maybe a Phase Shifter or Univibe.

It's an OK tuner... but not the best. It's accurate to ±2 cents - meaning that when it says a string is in tune, it could really still be out of tune by up to 2 cents. I tend to try to go for more accuracy than that. Some better tuners to look into are the Boss TU-3, the PolyTune, and the Korg Pitchblack. But my choice is the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner - up to .02 cents accuracy. It's insanely accurate, but also more expensive than most other tuners ($130). But it's worth it to me considering having a well-tuned instrument is one of my top priorities. It's also great for intonation, considering how accurate it is.

Dave Hunter has an excellent book out, and it includes a CD demonstrating so many pedals. Then, YouTube has any 'demo' you can think of. The only two guys really worth checking out are gearmandude and ProGuitarShop (Andy rocks!). Other pedal clips are OK, but for some reason Andy just knows the perfect song to play to demo any pedal, as opposed to just noodling, hitting a pedal, and continue noodling. :facepalm:
Then, sit and watch Unbelievable Stompbox Effects Pedal Collection. Part One - YouTube. :eek:
And there's a Part 2! :eek: :eek: Unbelievable Stompbox Effects Pedal Collection. Part Two - YouTube
Now feel inadequate.

It's an OK tuner... but not the best. It's accurate to ±2 cents - meaning that when it says a string is in tune, it could really still be out of tune by up to 2 cents. I tend to try to go for more accuracy than that. Some better tuners to look into are the Boss TU-3, the PolyTune, and the Korg Pitchblack. But my choice is the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner - up to .02 cents accuracy. It's insanely accurate, but also more expensive than most other tuners ($130). But it's worth it to me considering having a well-tuned instrument is one of my top priorities. It's also great for intonation, considering how accurate it is.
ooo okay, thanks. that one seems a bit expensive but i'll look around :)

Dave Hunter has an excellent book out, and it includes a CD demonstrating so many pedals. Then, YouTube has any 'demo' you can think of. The only two guys really worth checking out are gearmandude and ProGuitarShop (Andy rocks!). Other pedal clips are OK, but for some reason Andy just knows the perfect song to play to demo any pedal, as opposed to just noodling, hitting a pedal, and continue noodling. :facepalm:
Then, sit and watch Unbelievable Stompbox Effects Pedal Collection. Part One - YouTube. :eek:
And there's a Part 2! :eek: :eek: Unbelievable Stompbox Effects Pedal Collection. Part Two - YouTube
Now feel inadequate.

wooow, that is an inssaaane collection!

why is that exactly? just wondering

okay I can't work out how to delete this because I clicked reply instead of reply with quote

Last edited:
Back