Guitar pedals

presto5

Whats a good sounding metal pedal to record with? Got a 30w Marshall mg and a tube fender delux...

Whats a good sounding metal pedal to record with? Got a 30w Marshall mg and a tube fender delux...

Any answer will be debatable. It's all personal preference.
Maybe a TS-9 in front of your fender...
I've never heard of anyone using a fender for a metal track and I'm not sure how good they are for distorted sounds but hey, anything's possible.

BOSS metalcore or Yamaha DG stomp

BOSS - "metalcore" has a killer tone for recording and live...don't know how well it'll do with the Fender you have, but should work killer with your Marshall mg.
but if you really want a killer heavy recording or live tone, the Yamaha "dg" stomp is the way to go. It has a coaxial output for direct recording,...and i must say, I'm a big analog fan, but this pedal is viscious!...digital! I have several excellent sounding recordings with a great guitar tone from this little monster!:D

Attachments

• 100_0264.jpg
    100_0264.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 98
I use the ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff. I think it is less fuzzy than Boss or Digitech stuff, but I dial the distortion way back. I just got a MXR fullbore metal, it sounds very chunky. I run both thru a 100w tube amp though, I'm am not sure what they would sound like with a 30w SS amp.

^DITTO!!.. go the metal muff. my heavy pedal of choice.. eq necessary on pedal depending on amp and speakers...

and also agree about the metal zone over the metal core...

and ditch the MG man its only gonna hold u back from finding the GOOD distortions...actually i take that back.. u can compare it to ...cranking ur deluxe master on clean.. preamp on minimal.. and jack a metal muff through it.. might not be as good as through a marshall tube but it'll destroy ur MG just for being in the mere presence of it...:cool:

I use the ElectroHarmonix Metal Muff. I think it is less fuzzy than Boss or Digitech stuff, but I dial the distortion way back. I just got a MXR fullbore metal, it sounds very chunky. I run both thru a 100w tube amp though, I'm am not sure what they would sound like with a 30w SS amp.

So you have a 100 watt tube amp that doesn't sound "chunky" unless you run 10 cents worth of clipping diodes into the front of it? :confused:

Oh Ocnor you so funny...:). The sad thing is that metal guys forget that sometimes cleaner is WAY heavier. Just my 100 watt. .02. I have some seriously heavy diodes on sale right now. $500 us per. ;)

Back in the day I used to use a Metal Zone in front of a Marshall JTM30 combo. It's actually not a BAD pedal, provided you don't scoop the living shit out of the mids and you never put the gain over halfway. I once ran it through a small Fender tube combo, and was pleasantly surprised how full it sounded.

I then bought a Mesa and never really looked back, but I bet you could get pretty good results out of the MT-2 with that Fender. Try the gain at maybe 11 o'clock, bass and treble EQ flat, possibly a slight treble cut, and the midrange either flat or set for an upper midrange boost, not cut - I got good results with either a slight boost with the frequency range a little over 12 o'clock, or for a different sound a boost all the way at the upper end of the mid frequency knob.

Maybe a TS-9 in front of your fender...
I've never heard of anyone using a fender for a metal track and I'm not sure how good they are for distorted sounds but hey, anything's possible.

Isn't a TS-9 in front of a Fender tube amp one the 'standard' combinations for a good blues tone? I wouldn't think it would be very good for metal. Not that a Fender tube amp wouldn't work with the right pedal, I just wouldn't think with that pedal. That reminds me, I still need to get a TS-9 someday. There are just too many different models, all claiming to be the one that's the same sound as 'the original'.

There are just too many different models, all claiming to be the one that's the same sound as 'the original'.

If I remember correctly, ibanez came out with a TS-9 that uses all the same old components as the original. Of course it's about 50-75$ more, but hey if that's what you're lookin for then maybe it's worth it.

Just givin you a heads up ;)

My bro plays through a fender hotrod devill 4 x 10 combo. He can get just about any sound he wants out of it.

This is more rock than metal but I'm pretty sure we tracked these guitars on his fender with a metalzone in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/sanitysolutionband

My bro plays through a fender hotrod devill 4 x 10 combo. He can get just about any sound he wants out of it.

This is more rock than metal but I'm pretty sure we tracked these guitars on his fender with a metalzone in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/sanitysolutionband

I think I need a lobotomy :(

Don't let me rain on your parade, but the tone is too scratchy for my own tastes.

But take my worthless criticism with a grain of salt because I'm never happy with anything

It does sound good in the context of the song though.

i use a fender through a microcube. i can get ok tone, but nothing like i want. i used the same fender i think through a peavey once and it actually had great distortion, but i'm sure it could've been better. i'd prefer a variety of guitars & amps to play with for all the different things i need.

the other day i was watching amp & effect demos on youtube and i was sort of interested in the peavey viper amp. although youtube demos aren't the best way to hear its true sound it kind of helps if you can't get to a good music store. the one in my town is very small and seems to be obsessed with laney. not that laney is bad, i have to research laney more.

anyhow for the op, its helped me a little to watch demos on youtube as dumb as that sounds, just to get some ideas before i go to a larger music store. there are a ton of amp & effect demos on youtube:) good luck:)

and ditch the MG man its only gonna hold u back from finding the GOOD distortions.....

Yup! No offense, you gotta start somewhere, but those MG amps are the worst move Marshall ever made. The fact that you bought one is a good clue that you need to wean yerself off of Guitar Center. They have a lot of bargains, but they rarely have the best of anything. Try an Egnater if you really must shop at GC.

..... it'll destroy ur MG just for being in the mere presence of it...:cool:

This should be the fate of all MG amps, with no press coverage.....

also presto i'm planning on getting "The BOSS Book: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Most Popular Compact Effects for Guitar (book with CD)

Story and details of every Boss compact effect ever made; color photos, design history, trivia, tricks, secrets. Interviews with the Boss founder and design engineers. Essays on musical trends and famous players. Accompanying CD features 72 guitar sounds with control settings and detailed equipment set-ups. 122 pages, paperback. How Overdrive differs from Distortion: tables, graphs, large number of oscilliscope snapshots shows how an OD1 differs from and OD2. Covers the main effects and some at several settings. $19.95. JK. Elderly. Amazon.

Compare "Guitar Effects Guide Book (BOSS)"

i found it about 3/4's of the way down on this amptone site http://www.amptone.com/booksgettingguitarsounds.htm

maybe that might help?

Don't let me rain on your parade, but the tone is too scratchy for my own tastes.

But take my worthless criticism with a grain of salt because I'm never happy with anything

It does sound good in the context of the song though.

You aren't going to hurt my feelings dude. I have no parade.:D

Just an example of a metal zone in front of a fender tube amp. That was probably my second attempt at micing a guitar cab. I think it sits nicely in the mix and sounds plenty heavy which was the point of this thread.

Not my holy grail of tone by any means.

I could have told you that!;)

Back