Guitar humbucker switch help!

elenore19

Slowing becoming un-noob.
So I got some new pickups/humbuckers for my guitar and this was the first time I hooked up new hookups before. So as of now the pickups work amazing! I'm very pleased with my investment, but the one thing is, like the swtich that toggles from one humber to both, to the other. So I'm using each pickup seperately, but when I flip the switch to the middle so both humbuckers are in use and my sound goes to this lower volume, very twangy no bass sound. So I'm wondering is there an easy way to fix this? A problem with wiring? Or is the switch just bad all of the sudden? Any help/input would be awesome.

-Elliot

elenore19 said:
So I got some new pickups/humbuckers for my guitar and this was the first time I hooked up new hookups before. So as of now the pickups work amazing! I'm very pleased with my investment, but the one thing is, like the swtich that toggles from one humber to both, to the other. So I'm using each pickup seperately, but when I flip the switch to the middle so both humbuckers are in use and my sound goes to this lower volume, very twangy no bass sound. So I'm wondering is there an easy way to fix this? A problem with wiring? Or is the switch just bad all of the sudden? Any help/input would be awesome.

-Elliot

It sounds like you have some kind of phase problem with the pickups both activated. I bet the new pickups the 4 wire type and one of those got hooked up incorrectly and you have phase cancellation or something like that.

Try the Seymour Duncan or Stewmac websites for wiring schematics, they have quite a few I believe.

You're in the middle of nowhere? You must be in the Midwest too then- LOL!

Anfontan said:
It sounds like you have some kind of phase problem with the pickups both activated. I bet the new pickups the 4 wire type and one of those got hooked up incorrectly and you have phase cancellation or something like that.

Try the Seymour Duncan or Stewmac websites for wiring schematics, they have quite a few I believe.

You're in the middle of nowhere? You must be in the Midwest too then- LOL!
Ditto...Almost definitely a phase problem. www.stewmac.com does have a very helpful pickup winding identifier. It's found under the free info tab. Most brands are covered.

gbdweller said:
Ditto...Almost definitely a phase problem. www.stewmac.com does have a very helpful pickup winding identifier. It's found under the free info tab. Most brands are covered.
THanks for the help.

So I looked at the diagrams there and I can't tell how to read those. I'll put a picture of the diagram and yeah.

So I'm guessing I'm dealing with a Phase Switch(with two humbuckers) And that I hooked them up wrong or something? I'm using a gibson p94r for my neck pickup and a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5 for my bridge pickup. The diagram I'm posting is for Gibson pickups apparently. I'm not really sure how to read that, so if someone could explain what's going on, that'd be awesome.

Thanks

-Elliot

Attachments

• Diagram.JPG
    Diagram.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 65
The diagram you have there is using mini toggle switches. Here is a Les Paul type diagram using a 3 way switch that is used in a Les Paul/SG etc. type set up. It may be closer to what you're wiring may need to be.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0133.html
Heres a link in case diagram wont open...

Attachments

• Les Paul Wiring.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Anfontan said:
The diagram you have there is using mini toggle switches. Here is a Les Paul type diagram using a 3 way switch that is used in a Les Paul/SG etc. type set up. It may be closer to what you're wiring may need to be.

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-0133.html
Heres a link in case diagram wont open...
That diagram doesn't make any sense to me really. I have an ESP LTD F-100FM Guitar. So if anyone could find a diagram of that, or I will post a picture or something and people can help. But yeah. The pickups get wired to the switch which is then wired to the volume and tone knob.(there is only 1 volume, and 1 tone.) IF that helps at all, thanks for the help still :)

-Elliot

The P-94 is not a humbucking pickup, it's a P-90 in a humbucker sized body. What you are going to need to do is reverse the green wire and the black wire on the Duncan pickup.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Light said:
The P-94 is not a humbucking pickup, it's a P-90 in a humbucker sized body. What you are going to need to do is reverse the green wire and the black wire on the Duncan pickup.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi
I hope that works, thanks man.

-Elliot

Back