Guitar effect VSTs on a clean signal?

arcadeko

Illuminatius Overlordious
I have never used a guitar effect VST - I may mess around with them but I was just wondering this - I see a lot of people use them and was wondering how you record your guitar - are you using a totally clean signal? Or do you use your distortion channel and then apply the VSTs?

I can't imagine getting a good tone from a clean signal running through a VST. But if it's already running through a distortion channel what can a VST do for it? :confused:

I don't really use any effects on my guitar, just a HT-DUAL to get nice tube breakup. Are there VSTs that emulate that?

I am 47 and was always an analoque guy. But the last couple of years, I have really gotten into the digital stuff. VST's to me are amazing. The only thing I don't like is the CPU hit. I now use a Roland VG-99 which is still a modeler, but doesn't use any processing power from my computer. I still can't believe I can run a Strat through a Fender Twin on one channel, and a Les Paul through a Mesa Boogie on the other channel. All this with the twist of a few knobs. Life is good!!

Are you asking about an amp sim VST, or just the bare effects? What VST specifically, or what effects in general?

Sims, just plug in direct, effects you can record a clean or dirty signal and just put whatever effect you want on it (delay, flange etc.). Some sound better than others after the amp, some sound better before the amp (like with pedals).

I either use a sim and use effects in there, and a few after such as flange and stuff like that. Or I record the guitar with whatever I want and don't add any effects except for bus compression and bus reverb. That's my way, there are a million.

As always record a bit and see what you like.

essentially I want to know if I can get the same sustain from a clean channel input.

when I am running a dirty channel I can get a ton of great sustain - If I recorded clean and used a VST distortion, would I be bale to get as good of a tone as running input from a dirty channel?

probably not because of how the harmonics and overtones all work together and create feedback on a driven amp.

try it out and see what you think.

I used to use a Digitech rp250 as a preamp (mainly for the ts808 emulation) to drive amp sims until I found out about a freebie called TSE 808. Now my "guitar rig" is 100% virtual. The only thing between my guitar and soundcard is an ART tube MP though the signal coming from it is totally clean with no saturation at all. I used to hate amp sims but the technology is getting so good you cant deny how easy it is to use and I'll bet alot of folks would have a hard time distinguishing the difference between, for example, the stock marshall jcm800 in Amplitube Free and a real one.

I think I finally got the tone I was looking for from my mic'ing my amp with my HT-Dual :laughings::laughings::laughings:

i might try the clean channel and run it thru a sim

if anyone wants to hear it I just posted a new mix of a song Going Nowhere (in the clinic) that I recorded today after much adjustment and mic placement etc.

I just wish IKMultimedia made it more clear to me that promo codes expire. Like BIG RED LETTERS Because I am impatient and don't like to read. It's all about me!

VST plug ins are a godsend for us poor guy musicians on a budget that can't afford a 3000 dollar ENGL or 2000 dollar Mesa. As for your question, what I do is I will just record dry/clean guitar tracks. As many as I need, I personally recommend double tracking every guitar. Run those clean tracks into a bus in your DAW. Apply your models, such as Poulin LE456 or TSE X30 and shape to your liking. Then add impulse cabs using kefir or lecab, I prefer lecab because you can sample 6 different cabs all at the same time before applying the effect. If you need any more info just private message me, and I will see if I can help you into the world of models.

Back