Votes: 27 1.9%
  • Peavey

Votes: 104 7.5%
  • Anything but a peavey

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • other

Votes: 316 22.7%

• Total voters
Freshears........I'm not sure how to answer that. I tend to want way more output than most git players so it might be just fine for you.
I have one in mint, mint condition and I would trade it for certain things or sell it at what I think is a very fair price considering they go for about $2600 new.
PM me if you want to talk about it........if you're not tooo far from here you could come try it out.

Last edited:
I own these amps ,but used many others over the years, my most recent purchase was the hot rod deluxe, boy did i under estimate it in the shop, cranked up, this baby sings. Nearly bought a marshall instead too, close call me thinks.

1. fender hot rod deluxe,........ puts a smile on my face a mile wide, bliss!

2. fender twin reverb,.......you can't argue with these guys.

3. vox ac30 top boost with alnico's.....nice!

i have a crate vc20 (12" tube amp-weighs a ton for an amp its size) that sounds very nice. not like a fender or marshall, and not extremely versatile, but very ear-pleasing.

worst amp i've ever heard? a fender twin knockoff mfgd by yamaha in the mid-70's or so. made fender's "icepick highs" sound like nothing. it sure was LOUD, though!

I had to vote "Other"

I use three amps.

Ampeg VH-140C head. Very versatile amplifier.

Gallien Kruger ML/S rack head. Amp for my leads. Best tube sounding solid state I found.

A vintage, original MusicMan. 2 Channel, hard wired footswitch, original RCA tubes. Cleanest of of my cleans :D

Other amps I have used in the past and rated on 1 to 10:

Fender M-80. Rating 8. Needed overdrive channel EQ. Great amp otherwise.

Fender London series - Rating 7. Very grainy overdrive. Sounded great with a Tele whose pickup had been replaced with a vintage Silvertone's lipstick pickup :)

Peavey Backstage 50. No Rating. It was cool little practice amp, but sucked ass on stage and studio lol.

Marshal JCM 900. Rating 7. Cool amp, but they need to use better pots on the front panel. They suck gunk outta the air so sound scratchy. Also did not sound as good as lower, "practice" volumes. Only sounded like a Marshal when cranked wide open.

Mesa Boogie Recitfier - never again. The ceramic tube sockets were a nice touch though.

I have owned 2 Marshalls, a Fender and I currently have a Peavey Classic. The Peavey is built like a tank. I have had the thing for like 10 years and I have changed out the tubes and never had a problem. Recently I ran my POD XT thru a Peavey Minx 110 solid state bass amp at a rehearsal. I didnt know that it was a bass amp since our keyboard player uses it for his rig. Now I dont usually run my XT thru my amp because I dont care for the sound, but I ran my Strat in the XT and the XT into the Peavey and the sound was AWESOME!!! The Marshall JCM-800 patch on my POD sounded HUGE!!! I am gonna look into getting one of these amps.

King Elvis,

Older Peavey amps (Like your Classic) were built like tanks... I just don't like how they sound!

The newer peavey tube amps(the classic 30 etc...) are built like crap!... the tube sockets fail (have seen this too much)... If the person does gig's, (I'd say 3 of 4 amps sold will be back to me within the first year)...

Where even the newer fender and marshall stuff could possibly take a 10ft drop and still work!(yea I've seen it happen)

Shred

OK, sure a lot depends on your playing and the type of music you play, certain amps just dont seem to have what it takes to work in some genres. I am a little bit "old school," and rarely use effect pedals so I depend on my amps a lot more to produce the sound rather than just making the sound louder. For my preferance I get the sound most from small Fender amps, mainly a Princeton chorus. It dosen't have o lot of power, so it needs to be micked or better yet lined out to a larger power amp. I can't say this would work well for anyone else but it works for me and for a few other guitarists too. Plus, when playing in small places it is a lot easier than lugging a big amp around, nor does it require much space on stage, and many clubs don't provide a lot of room for the band. I dont think the perfect amp has been made yet, the one that will work for everyone and in every situation, but when that one comes along, I hope someone will let me know, untill then I'll stick to my "little old Fender."

Re: Crate makes a good amp!

VirtualSamana said:
I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't heard it with my own ears. The Crate V15 all tube powered, Class A. Sweet vintage tone. I bought mine at Guitar Satan for only $300. Don't just take my word for it. Have a listen for yourself. I thought maybe I lucked out and just got an especially good sounding one. But after reading the reviews on the les paul forum I realize that this amp is truly a great bang for the buck.

One of the Amps I have is a Create Stealth. That amp has a wicked distortion and killer clean tone. Very much the 80's amp, but I like nonetheless.

I've owned my JCM800 4210 twin channel for a while. It's a forerunner to the 900 and has the solid state boost cuicut in it even though it's all tube. I wanted a high gain amp, and that's what I got. It can be brittle at certain settins and lower volumes. It's one of the more usable amps Ive ever played. I haven't used a pedal since I bought it. I'd love to own a earlier 800 or a jmp45 (whatever they;re called) and have a place I could crank it. It's hard to argue with an old Marshall turned up real loud.

I've jammed a lot through a Fender twin, I think it was. Very nice. Had just enough gain, maybe too much bite, but hey, it's a Fender. Really sings when the tubes get warm.

I also had what I think was a Peevey classic at my disposal for a while. Lot's of pretty sweet gain but no balls, still, a great all around jam amp.

trebles said:
fender v65 twin

mesa boogie dual rectifier

Twin modified ampeg jets run in stereo :)

Musicman rd 130 210

vox ac 30 .......... ac 100 :)

fender deluxe .... hot rod deluxe

Damn fine list!

Just need to add a Boogie Mark IV right above the Musicman.

I (unfortunately?) hate any tube amps. So I had to find a working all solid state method. It turned out to be ->

Digitech 2101 Artist
Alesis RA300 Power Amp

I can get any sound imaginable out of this setup. I also have a couple really old rack effects processors that I use as backups, but I have to use so much processing that it just kills any hope of a real tone. So I am really nice to my digitech.

I really love my Peavey Trans tube 1/2 stack. Its actually a solid state. I dont like tube amps. If you have ever gigged with a Marshall and were not lucky enough to have a tech on the road you will know what I mean. Marshall's are like Ford trucks. They are great to have and run well when they run. I have both. I dont like the sound of my Marshall MG 30FX. Sometimes I can get a good solo sound out of it. Its mainly a practice amp. I sold my
JCM 800 a few years back and got a Randall RG 100 head. I miss that head. My Marshall broke down on the road and I borrowed the Randall and then traded the guy my marshall for it. Randalls get the tube sound without the tubes and are very dependable. Thats why I bought the Peavey Trans tube head. The guy said he didnt like it cause it was a Heavy metal sounding amp. :D
Looking back and being honest with my self I didnt like the sound of my Marshall or the soldano I had.
Micing my amps for recording sucks cause I cant get a good sound to save my life and I have a sm57. I never thought there would be a day when my gtr amp modeler got a better sound but that day is here.... :confused: whats the world coming to?
Myx

shredfit said:
The newer peavey tube amps(the classic 30 etc...) are built like crap!... the tube sockets fail (have seen this too much)... If the person does gig's, (I'd say 3 of 4 amps sold will be back to me within the first year)...

Shred
I'm assuming, (well, maybe I won't assume here :)), ...but "thinking" that this crappy build quality you speak of may include the newer 5150 MK2's? I was thinking about possibly checking one of these out. When I do, I'll have to pay super-close attention to the details! ...Maybe drop it a few times in the shop and see if it still works.

Seriuosly, I had a 5150 (first model) a few years back and that thing was pretty tough. Have they gone down in quality in the last, say, 5 years?

Where in MN is your shop? Twin cities?

-Mr. Moon

I'm not really sure about the newer 5150's ... I have seen the older ones and thought they were darn good quality builds... It's is the new stuff that worries me... Peavey seems to really cut corners lately (Perhaps it was to keep up with demand, being they opened themselves to the mailorder madness?)

I would look close at the tube sockets before buying the newer MKII... Ask to pull a tube out(with the amp off obviously) and check the connections... is there some play? if so... not good... also press against the tube socket... Does it move rather easily? if so.... really not good! Does the tube sockets plasic look super cheap in quality and are all the sockets the same? If they look cheap and there is one different from the others... run away from that thing!

Shop is just south of the Cities

Shred

shredfit said:
I'm not really sure about the newer 5150's ... I have seen the older ones and thought they were darn good quality builds... It's is the new stuff that worries me... Peavey seems to really cut corners lately (Perhaps it was to keep up with demand, being they opened themselves to the mailorder madness?)

I would look close at the tube sockets before buying the newer MKII... Ask to pull a tube out(with the amp off obviously) and check the connections... is there some play? if so... not good... also press against the tube socket... Does it move rather easily? if so.... really not good! Does the tube sockets plasic look super cheap in quality and are all the sockets the same? If they look cheap and there is one different from the others... run away from that thing!

Shop is just south of the Cities

Shred

Thanks for the tip! ...Do users fo this forum get any kind of deals? (ha-ha, total joke :)) Actually, in your opinion, where can I get the best deal on a 1/2 stack slant cab 5150 MkII rig in the Twin Cities? I do quite a bit of gear shopping in the area; also has a pretty good music scene!

If you'd rather, you can PM me with the info!

-Mr. Moon

Try LaVonne's Music in Savage MN!!! While your there check out Savage audio... and their custom built amps! you will not be disappointed!

Shred!

Back