Guitar amp and pickup question

I Hate Avril

I was wondering what amp would be good for recording punk/heavier rock music. Everything from cheap to expensive, solidstate to tube, combo to amp heads to cabinets. I currently have a fender american strat and would like to get a punchier and heavier sound out of it. What pickups would do u guys recomend I try? Thanks for the help.

For me, it usually depends on the song as to the kind of guitar, amp and pickups to use.. but generally speaking, I like the sound of stock pickups on a Strat with a Marshall cab for punkier sounds. With heavier rock I tend to lean towards a Les Paul with a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

All tube in both cases.

Well. Buying a rig is something only you can determine. Avril does suck, and who cares if shes hot. I don't listen to music because the singer looks good. The key word there is "listen"

I don't think an american strat would be good for playing punk music. They seem to clean for my taste. I play guitar in a little side-project punk band, and I play a beat up Squire with a hot rails single coil through 1x12 JCM.

There is no style of guitar for punk. It's not an accessory, you know. Just get one YOU like. Probably one with humbuckers.

Does this guitar go with my leather jacket, man? Maybe I can stick some electrical tape to it. And then I can stick some safety pins through the electrical tape! Yeah!.... Then I'll be twice as punk!:rolleyes:

I Hate Avril:

if you give us a better idea what you want, I'm sure some of us can help you. What are some of the guitar sounds that you like?

Matty

If you want a 'punk' type sound, I'd suggest throwing an EMG 81 in your guitar. They are high gain pickups that are super quite. None of this squeeling/humming crap when you stop strumming. As for amps, the run of the mill 'punk' tone comes from MESA/Boogie usually.

I personally am running this rig. I have a MESA triple rectifier head, running through a MESA cab loaded with custom 90 speakers. I have a Gibson SG supreme with an EMG 81 in it. I can achieve tons and tons of tones, all the way from blues, to rock, to death metal....I love it. If you want to hear it, go check it out at www.mp3.com/thehollywoodending

The guitars don't sound too thick though cause I swept the lows out some. Anyways, that's my two cents. Greg.

Thanks for the help people. And Avril is not hot either. She can't sing, write music, play guitar, or even jus plain look good. Who is she trying to fool lookin all punk when she's not even remotely close. My mom is probably more punk then her. Anyway, thanks agian.

Hey sk8rboi, go to your local pawn shop and buy something loud and cheap. Make it sound like your own, then paint it pink. THAT'S punk rock.

What kinda name is Avril?... sounds like a pain medication....
I agree she cant sing, but I'd still do her, of course I wouldn't let her speak...:)

uh, yeah... Avril means April in spanish, and probably in some other latin languages too... awesome name I think... and she's cute... music's not the best, but decent...

Kelly5150 said:
What kinda name is Avril?... sounds like a pain medication....
I agree she cant sing, but I'd still do her, of course I wouldn't let her speak...:)

She CAN'T sing, or you just don't like her style? BIG difference. There is nothing wrong with just respecting people for who they are. ...and don't be pissed because they made it either......

LocusLarsen said:
She CAN'T sing, or you just don't like her style? BIG difference. There is nothing wrong with just respecting people for who they are. ...and don't be pissed because they made it either......

She can sing a little, I've heard her sing live on TV, its amazing what they can fix in the studio...
I'm definitely not pissed at her, just amazed that she got where she is with what she has.... go figure.....

You guys are just pissed because avril has an assload of cash and your no talent homerecording ass is broke.LMAO!

Post some of YOUR hit songs in the mp3 clinic holmes.Show us what you've got.....put up or shut up.;)

Back