Grounding Issue? Hum and electrical popping noise

Simmons

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just receive my new amp yesterday. Plugged it in and the tone is incredible....as long as I am touching a piece of metal on my guitar (input jack, bridge, strings ect). If I take my hand off of the guitar, I get a rather loud hum (louder than it's supposed to be) and when I touch the strings with my finger I get an electrical "pop" every time I touch a string or a pick-up or the bridge. If I touch the input jack (or another piece of metal on the guitar) the amp is dead quiet until I play the guitar (the way it's supposed to be). I've double checked multiple guitar cables, I've played through the amp with both guitars (same thing happening). I've tried different electrical outlets as well.

The guitars are a strat and a brand telecaster deluxe re-issue with double humbuckers. The amp is also new...the Groove Tubes Soul-o Single. I should also mention that I'm in France, so I have to use 230v, but that shouldn't really matter.

I hope this is a grounding issue. Does anyone have an suggestions to resolve this? I've never had this problem before.

Thanks,
Simmons

I think I know what the problem is....

My wall sockets have two holes and no ground prong. The AC cord, I think needs this prong to ground the amp. Would that cause the problem? I'm at work and can not check this right now....will have to wait until tonight.

Check the back of the guitar where there should be a ground wire coming in and it should be touching the springs. This may contribute to the problem.

If the amp has a 2-prong plug, it should have a ground reverse switch. Try turning it the other way. If not, use a 3-into-2 adaptor and attach the grounding wire to the center screw on the outlet plate on the wall and see if that reduces the hum.

For the strat, the best way to reattach the wire is by soldiering it, sorry I didn't mention that before, and about the tele, I don't know, I've never owned one, however, If the problem is ocuring with both guitars, it might be an amp problem like you've suggested. Is the humming any worse with one guitar than the other?

My guess is it's a shielding or grounding problem... you wouldn't happen to be playing in a building with florescent lighting would you?

This hum is common to most stock single-coil pickups. I have the hum on my strat, my precision, and my jazz. Even have it on the middle pickup on my Ibanez. It's a fact of life that you have to deal with. Or replace the pickups.

Back