got a new overdrive pedal

jimistone

long standing member
i was working in jackson mississippi yesterday and went by the largest music store in the state. i grabbed a strat and a hot rod deville amp (my setup) and tried every distortion in the house ( and they have alot of them). the 1st one i tried was the ts-9 tube screamer...since this one is so highly rated..and i had one back in the 80's that i really liked as far as i can remember. the tube screamer sucked all the bass out of the tone, but, other than that it sounded pretty good. i tried the ts-7 tube screamer and i can see why its cheaper than the ts-9...it sucks the bass out of your tone and sounds like shit on top of that. i tried some pretty pricey things from "tube work" and "marshall" they sounded better than the tube screamer but were way over priced for a stomp box in my opinion. tried some things in the $50 to $60 range and they sounded like shit...had that gazoo sound on the top strings (i wanted distortion without alot of fuzz and crunch)
finally after trying about 20 pedals i tried the boss blues driver...man, this is a great pedal! it dosen't rob you tone of lowend and it just rocks on a fender hot rod deville. i tried turning the "gain" down pretty low and the level up and pushed the "hot rod" pre amp tubes with it and it sounded fantastic. i think i pissed off the music store staff with the high volume...but fuck 'em..i bought the damn thing.

a good sounding distortion is hard to find (to my liking anyway)...i think this one will be with me for the long haul. if you haven't tried one you need to check these out.

Interesting...my blues driver is collecting dust while my boss super overdrive is getting on the work on my vibrochamp. i find the BD to really color the sound, in a really nasty nasly way. Maybe i need to turn down the gain, but the super OD seems to be a more basic boost. I use a DS-1 for humbucking crunch but the super overdrive suits my tele twanging quite well.

I'll retry the blues driver tho...

i got some fantastic tone out of the blues driver...but i didn't like the tone with the gain turned up past 12 o'clock. its the ticket to push the hot rod section of the deville amp (which by itself sounds like shit to me)

I tried the Blues Driver, but I didn't care for it. I have a Tube Screamer, but for most of what I do it is a little bright sounding. Although people tell me they like it a lot.

When I can't crank up my Bassman, I prefer the Danelectro Daddy-O.

jimistone said:
i was working in jackson mississippi yesterday and went by the largest music store in the state. i grabbed a strat and a hot rod deville amp (my setup) and tried every distortion in the house ( and they have alot of them). the 1st one i tried was the ts-9 tube screamer...since this one is so highly rated..and i had one back in the 80's that i really liked as far as i can remember. the tube screamer sucked all the bass out of the tone, but, other than that it sounded pretty good. i tried the ts-7 tube screamer and i can see why its cheaper than the ts-9...it sucks the bass out of your tone and sounds like shit on top of that. i tried some pretty pricey things from "tube work" and "marshall" they sounded better than the tube screamer but were way over priced for a stomp box in my opinion. tried some things in the $50 to $60 range and they sounded like shit...had that gazoo sound on the top strings (i wanted distortion without alot of fuzz and crunch)
finally after trying about 20 pedals i tried the boss blues driver...man, this is a great pedal! it dosen't rob you tone of lowend and it just rocks on a fender hot rod deville. i tried turning the "gain" down pretty low and the level up and pushed the "hot rod" pre amp tubes with it and it sounded fantastic. i think i pissed off the music store staff with the high volume...but fuck 'em..i bought the damn thing.

a good sounding distortion is hard to find (to my liking anyway)...i think this one will be with me for the long haul. if you haven't tried one you need to check these out.
i grabbed a strat and a hot rod deville amp (my setup)

What's up Mike! You aint playin thru that peavy no more? I know that deville is a purdy sweet little amp. Congrats!

whats happnin. dave

yeah i got a deal on that deville i couldn't pass up. but i have to tell the truth, the onboard distortion on the solid state peavey sounds better that the pre channel on the deville...thats why I bought a stomp box (and i detest stomp boxes)....but the deville is too loud to get the tubes to break up naturally (without damaging peoples ears). maybe one of these days i'll get to do a concert in jackson clollisium and get to turn up the deville past 3 to actually see what it sounds like cranked. it has a clean tone to die for though.

man i really need to get a quick mix of the "gamblin' blues" tracks you have...on a cassette if possible. belive it or not, donnie and i have some label interest from a record label in the U.K. that specializes in blues. they have heard some of our original material and want to hear more. we are still working on our studio and have the recorder in storage...can't track anything right now.....send me a p.m. and give me you phone # so we can get together.

64Firebird
i checked out the Daddy-O at another music store a couple of days before i went to the big store and i really liked it. That store didn't have alot of selection and i was hesitant to go on and get it without anything else to compare it too. when i went to the big store to actually make a decision they had every stomp box know to man...except a Daddy-O. im not useing much of the pedal "gain"...im just using the pedals level boost to drive the amps pre-amp tubes....so, the pedal is not making a drastic change in my tone (the tube screamer took alot of bottom out of my tone). the pre amp "hot rod" (or whatever you want to call it) section of the deville just wasn't cutting it by itself but it sounds very good with the blues driver.

oh yeah....don't sell your firebird man.....you will regret it. every nice vintage guitar i have ever sold i regret. i would be hard pressed to actually tell you where the money from the sales went ...and i don't have shit to show for those sales now.

jimistone said:
oh yeah....don't sell your firebird man.....you will regret it. every nice vintage guitar i have ever sold i regret. i would be hard pressed to actually tell you where the money from the sales went ...and i don't have shit to show for those sales now.

Believe me, I don't want to sell it, but times are hard. Old Firebirds like mine are selling on ebay for around $3500.00 right now and I have to pay the rent. If I could get a paying gig playing it things would be different.

Maybe I should sell my Harley instead.

i sold a harley several years ago, and 2 years ago i sold a restored 72 mach 1 mustang (alot of blood sweat and tears went into that car) so i know selling something like that isn't easy. but i sold the mustang to be able to buy my recording equipment.

you have to look at it this way....a guitar will make you money and a harley will cost you money (at least mine did).

plus a harley would be esier to replace later on than a 64 firebird.

Food for thought. I'm sure I could get 7 or 8 grand out of my Harley chopper. But, I'm not sure it's the kind of bike most people would want. It's a 78 motor in a 57 rigid frame 8" over forks and no electric start.

LocusLarsen said:
....ya, but are you a guitar player or a biker FIRST! (I know....both, right?...but pick one)

Tough call. I got my first motorcycle about the same time I got my first guitar, around age 9. All my life I've wanted to have both.

Back