Got a favorite pedal in your rig?

Seriously? You use one of those?

Certainly, live. I use it in the front end as a four-pedal stomp-box. I don't bother with the comp or the pitch, but the delay, modulation and (analogue) crunch are stunningly good. There's an unbelievably cool and useful 10dB boost switch that I use a LOT. :D You can bring out little phrases so easily with it, without resorting to the lead channel. It's the best live pedal I've ever used, bar none.

Certainly, live. I use it in the front end as a four-pedal stomp-box. I don't bother with the comp or the pitch, but the delay, modulation and (analogue) crunch are stunningly good. There's an unbelievably cool and useful 10dB boost switch that I use a LOT. :D You can bring out little phrases so easily with it, without resorting to the lead channel. It's the best live pedal I've ever used, bar none.

No shit. I wouldn't have pegged you for using one of those.

No shit. I wouldn't have pegged you for using one of those.

It's just a tool. I wouldn't consider recording with it, I believe that the amp should do its thing, in the same way that you do. But when you're trying to do a show where you have to approximate some of the production sounds of the punk records such as The delay on the DKs "Holiday In Cambodia", or the Flange sound of Magazine's "Shot By Both Sides", or adding extra (perfect) crunch to "Holidays In The Sun", or using the 10dB boost to bring out the lead flourishes in "Pretty Vacant", then it's just part of my Attention To Detail. It means that my covers band gets gigs in punk venues where punk covers bands normally are scorned, simply because we sound so bloody perfect. Accuracy of sound is my "thing" and I just use my stuff to attain that.

I have approximately one zillion pedals ...... I like 'em all at various times for various things.

Favorites?:
Ummmm .... my POG2, E.H. Organ machine, Akai Headrush, TC Hall Of Fame reverb, Xotic Effects SP compressor, Damage Control Liquid Blues, Ross Flanger and Foxx Tone Machine.
You notice only one of my favorites is a dirt pedal and the reason I like that one is more for its compressor.
I like pedals to get non-guitar sounds ..... modulations ..... delay .... synth stuff ..... keyboard sounds .......that sorta thing.

I do have a bunch 'o' dirt pedals ...... meh, they all work except the fizzy ones .... I don't like fizz although there's always some ...... but I only use them to 'color' my tone ..... currently mostly using a TS808.

I AM , however, in the process of building a new pedalboard. There's so many of these micro pedals including a tiny wah, that I think I'll build one with nothing bigger than a MXR sized pedals and mostly the micros .... even a Boss will be a little too big.
I'll build a double decker board with maybe 12-14 pedals ..... I'll overlap the top deck back over the bottom pedals slightly ...... it's gonna be pretty small for all the pedals it'll have.
I like pedals! :D

Last edited:
It's just a tool. I wouldn't consider recording with it, I believe that the amp should do its thing, in the same way that you do. But when you're trying to do a show where you have to approximate some of the production sounds of the punk records such as The delay on the DKs "Holiday In Cambodia", or the Flange sound of Magazine's "Shot By Both Sides", or adding extra (perfect) crunch to "Holidays In The Sun", or using the 10dB boost to bring out the lead flourishes in "Pretty Vacant", then it's just part of my Attention To Detail. It means that my covers band gets gigs in punk venues where punk covers bands normally are scorned, simply because we sound so bloody perfect. Accuracy of sound is my "thing" and I just use my stuff to attain that.

I hear ya. I've seen your videos and you guys do a great job!

I'd be willing to try it, just for the sake of hooking it up with just a couple of pedal coupler cables. That MXR has been a definite consideration for me, even some of the Boss digital delays. TC electronic looks to have some nice gear as well.

This reminds me that I also want a good fuzz pedal. I'm intrigued by them, and I've never owned one. I've listened to a few shootouts on YouTube, and I was actually considering that Hendrix one from Dunlop. I'll put that MXR fuzz on the list to check out as well. Too bad Dallas Arbiter ones are so hard to come by!
I've never gotten a bad result from any time-based effects ran straight into the front end of an amp, maybe that's just me though.

As far as the fuzz is concerned, I would say the MXR is my favorite. I've only compared it to an older Big Muff and a Hendrix Sig Fuzz Face that my wife got me for Christmas; the MXR seems to have a lot more distortion to offer than the other two but it sounds better when it's not pushed - distortion around 9 o'clock and tone around 11 o'clock with volume matching the clean signal volume. Hitting the octave switch is where it gets really nasty. The Big Muff is a great fuzz, too, IMO, and the Hendrix FF is just eh... Thinking about trying the Band of Gypsies FF and seeing if there is a significant difference.

I've never gotten a bad result from any time-based effects ran straight into the front end of an amp, maybe that's just me though.

As far as the fuzz is concerned, I would say the MXR is my favorite. I've only compared it to an older Big Muff and a Hendrix Sig Fuzz Face that my wife got me for Christmas; the MXR seems to have a lot more distortion to offer than the other two but it sounds better when it's not pushed - distortion around 9 o'clock and tone around 11 o'clock with volume matching the clean signal volume. Hitting the octave switch is where it gets really nasty. The Big Muff is a great fuzz, too, IMO, and the Hendrix FF is just eh... Thinking about trying the Band of Gypsies FF and seeing if there is a significant difference.

I ordered a JHS Firefly Fuzz the other day, waiting for it to be built and delivered. I'm not usually a botique pedal guy, but these guys are based here in Kansas City and I like the idea of supporting them. Plus the demos of that pedal blew me away. It's pretty versatile as far as fuzz distortions go. I'll report back in the tone thread once I get it all plugged in.

How are you guys connecting the pedals to your board and what are you using for a board?

I am finally getting pissed off with leads and pedals all over the place and want to make a really tidy job of it.

How are you guys connecting the pedals to your board and what are you using for a board?

I am finally getting pissed off with leads and pedals all over the place and want to make a really tidy job of it.

How many pedals do you have?

Cry baby, half a dozen boxes and a tuner. .. I really really want that Korg Miku pedal now!!! You sent me a link for a multiple 9V adaptor before. Do you have that to hand?

I like my Pedaltrain quite a bit. It comes with velcro that lets you stick everything down. Get a good power supply (Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 is on my shortlist for next gear purchase). The Pedal Power mounts to the underside of your board so it doesn't take up room. Get some angle-head pedal coupler/patch cables, and everything stays nice and tidy. Easy to rearrange, easy to keep power and signal cables out of the way, and the whole thing zips up into a carry case easily. And it comes in a few sizes depending on how extensive your pedal loadout is at any given time.

Also, I'm still waiting for that Firefly Fuzz. I emailed JHS today, and they're still waiting on parts before they can build the pedal. Shoulda just ordered it from Sweetwater, I'd have had it last week. Although it is kinda cool to think that they're building it just for me :)

I build my own boards ...... ummmm ..... wood and glue and screws and such.

If it's in the studio then velcro is fine for making the pedals stay put.
If you gig all the time like I do then you want to use zip-ties to fasten them down.
I've yet to find any velcro type stuff that lasts ...... let it sit in your car in the sun and I don't care what you use, it'll eventually let go.
But in the studio there's no need to be so fussy.

I have this secret fantasy about connecting a korg miku to a DOD Gonkulator and getting my guitar to read the Psalms.

Back