Gibson Models Vs. Same Epiphone Models...

Robertt8

Okay, now are you really going to notice that much difference in playing an Epiphone Les Paul Classic and a Gibson Les Paul Classic? I guess this question goes to any of the similar models they have. Are you just buying the Gibson name or is there THAT much difference between the two models to justify spending at least twice the amount to get the Gibson? Sure the Gibson probably uses nicer woods or whatever, and slightly more expensive hardware, but come on, that's a huge price difference.

Don't get this crew started.. . this is an old debate but yes you do get what you pay for.

I owned a Gibson Les Paul before it was stolen 15 years ago. I recenty got a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and after new tuners and pick-ups I'm really happy with it. I think it plays better than my old Gibson. But that is my personal preference.

just about anything made in america is going to cost more than it should. we all want to do the least amount of work possible while making the most money possible. gibson is no different.

there is a difference between the epiphone and the gibson, whether or not it's worth it to you is not for me to decide.

The difference in playability isnt huge, mostly because gibson doesn't set up their guitars very well out of the factory (though they have the potential to be set up much better than an epiphone could be), but the difference in sound is huge.
If you're not that serious about guitar and you dont have the money for the gibson then the epiphone should suit you, but if you can appreciate a fine guitar and spend that kind of cash you'll be very happy with the gibson.

However the point is if you really were thinking about spending that kind of money on a guitar you wouldnt be in here asking about epiphones, so I get the feeling you're just trying to justify getting the cheaper guitar by looking for people to agree with you that the price isnt worth the difference.
Buy the best guitar for you in the price range that you can afford, don't shop by brand.

It seems that you can get an Epi a lot closer to a Gibson by a simple pickup and electronics switch-out. I have H2H's old Epi Les Paul with Gibson Burstbucker pickups and RSGuitarWorks wiring and I prefer its tone to every modern Gibson Les Paul I've tried.

a pickle indeed....

This is the age old question.... The biggest difference between the Gibson and the Epiphone are where they are made. Gibsons are made in the U.S. while Epiphones are made oversees. So it kinda depends on who you want to pay to make you a guitar. Someone who got lucky enough to work at the Gibson factory or a 14 year old Korean kid.

Personally I like to know exactly where the guitar was made, and I go for Gibson USA. If I am going for that classic guitar sound I buy a guitar that made that classic sound. I know that with Gibson guitars I am going to get solid tonewoods and the pickups that made the sounds of yesterday.

Some say that a high end Epiphone is far superior to a low end Gibson. But many people say that there is a big difference between the high end Gibson and Epiphone models, favoring the Gibsons. There are some Gibson horror stories out there. I;ve lucked out in my Gibson Purchases. I can say that i have looked into Epiphone's versions of Gibson Acoustic guitars and the tone was close, but the Gibsons won in the end...

The best suggestion was just to go and try them yourself. See if it really is worth twice the money for the Gibson... Of course the salesperson will want oyu to buy the Gibson... If you like the epiphone a lot and can stand not having the Headstock say Gibson on it, then buy it and use the money you saved to buy a new amp!!

donkeystyle said:
just about anything made in america is going to cost more than it should.

Anything made in America costs what it should, in order for the people making it to make a living. Many things made overseas cost LESS than what they should, for many reasons.

I played a show last July with my Epiphone last year with a nationally known Christian Band. The only guy who said anything about it was another Epi player who said he was glad he wasn't the only guy "sluming it" I told him if I was sluming it I would have pulled out my Hondo All Star and gorilla amp.

I met some kids after the show, they wanted to know why ever band played the same guitar. (all 5 bands had guys that played Les Pauls, either Epi or Gibson)

If you want the name brand then pay for it, but remember 95% of the people out there won't know or care if it's a Gibson or Epiphone. The other 5% that will are other guitar players who will think you suck even if your playing a Gibson personally approved by Jimmy Page and Slash.

If all your bank account will let you get is an Epiphone and you like it, then buy it and play it with pride. We all know you can do a whole lot worse for a lot more money. Besides guitars are like women, if you find one that makes you happy don't let your friends tell ya you can do better. Chances are they're the ones that can do better.

It's just my opinion, but its right for me.

I've had a Gibson LP Studio and an Epiphone LP Studio. They didn't seem to play or sound all that differently. The finish on the Gibson was better, but that doesn't effect playability or sound.

mharr552000 said:
The finish on the Gibson was better, but that doesn't effect playability or sound.

on the contrary, the finish can GREATLY affect the sound of the guitar.....namely with respect to the resonance and sustain, and often in terms of tone.

so yes, finish matters.....

cheers,
wade

Isn't there going to be a much higher resale on a Gibson? I would think so.

To those who think that an Epi is as nice as the real deal, your dreaming. Just live with the fact you can't or won't pay that much for a guitar. I never thought I would spend $3000+ for a guitar but I did and now I know why people do. My Supreme is truly one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen.

gusfinley said:
...Of course the salesperson will want you to buy the Gibson...

No, he'll want you to buy whatever has the highest profit margin. That might be the Epiphone. Why do you think salesguys push Behringer over Mackie?

mrface2112 said:
on the contrary, the finish can GREATLY affect the sound of the guitar.....namely with respect to the resonance and sustain, and often in terms of tone.

I have heard that from a lot of folks, but I have never experienced it first hand. Short of moving the neck and all the electronics and hardware from one guitar body to another to remove variability from other sources, I don't know how one could prove such a thing.

Back