getting my pickup repaired.

jimistone

long standing member
Well, I'm getting my '66 strat original pickup repaired. It died on me a while back. The other 2 original pickups were in a box in a basement of a place I was renting. I moved, back in the late 1980s, and didn't get all my stuff on the first trip. The landlord said he would give me the remainder of my paid up rent (2 weeks) to get the rest of my stuff out. I returned in a week and it was gone. The other guitar player in my band had the 3rd pickup in a fender mustang.. so I did get one back.
Anyway, I'm having the original repaired and the guy is going to do a pair to go with it ....exact copies. They will be a perfect match. Vintage NOS grey bobbins, correct wire, wound to 1966 specs, aged to be a perfect match visually.
Im stoked!

Previously on my '66 Strat:
I had the original, which was the bridge pickup, on the neck, fender 57/62 in the middle position, and a Texas Special in the bridge position. That combination was a VERY good set. Since the Original died I have the 57/62 in the neck, the Texas special in the middle, and a cheap ceramic bar magnet Mexican strat pickup on the bridge. The combination isn't as good...although it ain't bad.

Hopefully I'll be getting the tone back to its original glory without shelling out $2000 for a pair of vintage '66 pickups

Last edited:
My original '66 seat pickup is fixed! It was repairable and didn't need a rewind. It's going back in the neck position and a matching pair is going in the middle and bridge position. The repair of the original and the creation of the matched pair is the work of John Galep of Dawgtown pickups.He does all the pickups for Neville guitar and his pups and guitars are creating a buzz. So, I decided to give him a shot.
He is a couple of pics he sent me
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ffpaxt9k1yu4zrb/AAAdgrqnnRdmLygxduBhbWSca
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nx38wbiol1ybz4p/20161022_154649.jpg?dl=0
Cosmetically I think he did very well. Hopefully this strats voice will be restored with the installation of this set

Last edited:
Guitar pic link and 2nd pickup links display an error (though I am logged in to Dropbox).
Anyway the pickup pic is very cool. Don't need pickups at the moment but I'll look up John Galep - if you recommend him I know he's got to be good :D

The pic of the pickups answered a question for me. Last week I took the pickguard off my chinese strat to put copper foil underneath. When I assembled everything back together, I saw the two middle poles on each pickup higher than the others. Never noticed that before. I was curious if it was just the pickups in this particular guitar... Now I know. Thanks.

Hey Ido1957...
The links to all the pics are working for me now....can you try to view it again for me. If it's not viewable for you I may need to generate another link.
Is anyone else having trouble?
I'm a total dumbasd on posting pictures. (and really all things internet)
Earlier I have the pics embedded but Steen said they were private. So, I'm trying g the links now

Bet you can't wait to get them hooked up, they look sweet, is that an original colour or a refinish? looks lovely. Had long GAS for a strat.

Cool old strat. I know there are two schools for preference, but i dig the fat head. Original colour? If so, any idea what they called it?

Hey Jimi, if you want post an image--->

then the picture, whether on your computer or on the net

then

If the pic is on your phone i haven a clue

The finish isn't original. The original finish was 3 color sunburst. I bought it in 1976 for 150 bucks....I was 16 years old. The guitar guys I knew at the time told me that it would never be worth much because it wasn't a pre-cbs strat. I dug Randy Bachman's natural wood strat (ash body). So, I took the finish off it and it wasn't a one piece body, and the wood grain (alder) wasn't cool like Randy Bachmans. I was bummed out big time. A stupid teenager mistake. Anyway, I painted it white eith enamal, then light gray with polyurethane. Finally, I decided to do a period correct refinish. Lake Placid Blue nitro laquar over white primer. Both the color and the primer are vintage correct. The refinish is about 10 years old and a tad worn and dinged. I think it's absurdly gorgeous! I had a professional vintage guitar appraiser (and buyer/seller) look at it and he told me he would have though it was an original finish if the clear was yellowed. (I decided not to tint the clear and let it yellow on its own). That guy bugged the crap out if me to let him sell it for me. I told it's not for sale. He's connected and knows buyers who will pay handsome sums for vintage guitars. He had a client who wanted a player and thought mine was "the one". The price he believed he could get was way higher than I would expect out of a refin that only had one out of three original pickups. I would have netted more than I thought it would bring even after his sizable rake off the top of the deal.
But...
I'm never planing on selling it...2016 marks 40 years I've had that guitar.

Last edited:
Back