getting a killer bass tone

notCardio said:
I personally think Proto-J's are kind of anemic, especially without a sub, and then I think they sound artificial. Other guys love 'em, though. Just my opinion.

Any suggestions for a sub to match?
Thanks

I've been having good luck just miking the cab with a md421 sennheiser.

But wtf do I know, I'm a guitar player :confused: :D

These are some excellent suggestions, folks, and refreshingly free from the usual gear snobbery and smugness that tend to wreck a lot of threads. THIS is exactly what I want from homerecording.com. THANK YOU!
A songwriter and guitarist, I'm just now starting to pay attention to the bass tone in my demo's—it could use some improvement. I especially appreciate the suggestions that involve recording technique and EQ, which are more helpful than asking someone to just go out and buy another piece of gear. I play a Tele thru a Bassman, for cryin' out loud, so I should be able to get a decent tone out of that beast. The bass itself, I'm not even going to tell you what it is. But it does have new strings. ;-)

Rokket said:
I've heard lots about the Behringer bass DI, specifically that it's a cheap knockoff (cheap as in inexpensive) of the Sansamp. I was thinking about getting one just to try it out, but if you have to mess with the eq and such so much after you track it, I think I will just stay with my Sansamp. I only have to give it a bit of compression to tame my playing style when I track with it.

I got one of these the other day (the Behri knock off). I don't have a sansamp to compare it with, but it does add a certain fullness, even above and beyond the great sound I was getting with The Brick. I like the adjustability of it. The presets in the manual are exactly copied from the sansamp manual. Definitely a fun toy that I'll keep around, since it was so cheap.

Back