Fuzz Pedals?

Sentridoh

I am looking to get a fuzz pedal but I'm not sure which one to get. I've looked at some by Boss and DOD, but I'm not sure which way I should go?

i appreciate the ds-1 though i believe it is a bed wetter.
the unit i had for a day acted as a receiver for the gospel radio broadcasting across the field.
i'm currently using a pod for fuzz.

The Boss Fuzz pedal is one of their best IMO. It has more character than their other distortion pedals.....very retro 60's and early 70's sounding. The minute you plug into the pedal you say to yourself, "I've heard THAT sound before".

The Big Muff pedal is a good distortion for punk and hard rock. It's kind of the standard for punk.

The thing to do, is take your guitar, amp, and whatever else you use, to the store your going to buy the pedal from. Test a bunch out, buy/use what you like.

Jimi Hendricks used a muff fuzz/big daddy muff made by electro-harmonics, about 50 bux. Stevie Ray Vaughn used a Ibenese tube screamer ts 808 {I've slept with mine}this particular model 500 bux w/box. It has the square button. There's other that use digital recreates and overdrive and distortions and "on board" the amp in some cases. You will know it when you hear it. Just like the guitar when you played it. Buy acording how you want to hear you. A well made/played guitar needs no FX pedals. But both are a reflection of you..

On a budget, the Big Muff is the fuzz to get. It sounds awesome, it's easy to use and cheap, and it has enough distortion for anybody.

Not on a budget, look for a used Foxx pedal (fuzz, fuzz.volume, fuzz/volume/wah, or fuzz volume/wah/octave are the usual cominations) on eBay. Though it will run you about 300$, there is nothing heavier.

Danelectro Fab-Tone would be my recommendation. It's cheap and it sounded damn good to me. Durability can be an issue with the DOD pedals... I don't know how many of their switches have gone bad on me, but I do have some heavy feet.:)

The thing to do, is take your guitar, amp, and whatever else you use, to the store your going to buy the pedal from. Test a bunch out, buy/use what you like.

I have both a Big Muff and a DS-1. They both have distinctive sounds and distortion frequencies. I like to use the Big Muff on my 7 string and the DS-1 primarily on six string.

When you hit the low string on the seven string, even at a low volume, the Big Muff gives a nice growl.

I think the DS-1 does a great job when you are playing above the 7th fret. You can still hear each note separately. I have compared this to other stomp boxes which seem to get muddy on the high notes.

Back