Frusciante on Tape Manipulation in Guitar World

PlasticMoonRain

With the Chili Peppers album out today, July's Guitar World is basically all about the band, especially guitarist John Frusciante. If you know anything about Frusciante, you'll appreciate the fact he is photographed as a devil with horns, and in another one, he is in a white tunic like a saint.

If you are a technique freak like me, you'll appreciate what he says about tape manipulation on this new album (it was recorded entirely analog!).

For one solo, he flipped the tape over and processed the guitar through an old EMT 250 digital reverb that was run through a high pass filter from his modular rig.

I like the fact the guy won't let anybody touch his stuff when he's into varispeeding tape to put guitars in different octaves, or flipping the tape over for backward effects. How retro!

Drew

He's one of my fav's!!!!! One of the great bands out there for sure. I'll have to pick up that issue. Thanks for the heads up.

thanks plasticmoonrain...
frusciante is my idol for music and guitar, chad smith was the reason i started playing drums...
rhcp is my favorite band ever, and their new cd, (stadium arcadium) is kickass
there is so much put into it... you can definately tell
u ever listen to his solo albums?

I have not heard his solo albums.

You know, I have these cool photos from the issue of Guitar World I'd love to post, especially these ones of Frusciante as the devil and the other as the saint. But I don't know how to do it here.

Drew

Just picked the new record up on the way home from work.

I'm digging it thus far.

Certainly some cool gee-tar stuff happening, and I'm only 3 tracks into it.

If you are a technique freak like me, you'll appreciate what he says about tape manipulation on this new album (it was recorded entirely analog!).

You consider this technique? I guess it could be, I consider technique to be the physical aspect of actually playing an instument. In any event, I subscribe to that rag...read the interview. He seems a little "out there" to me...no only in what he says (spirits talking to him) but also just the look. I'd have to hear his actual voice,but it would appear that drugs have REAlly done a number on him....sad.

J.P.

kind of a funny thing. this guy used to hang out with my sister at my house in ft lauderdale when i was 7. red hot chili peppers had just finished working on one of their cds and he had to stay with his aunt and uncle down the street with me because he was a delinquent. one night he smashed all the mailboxes on his block and i think they shipped him to another relative.

By 'this guy' you mean John Frusciante??? :eek: What year was this, I'm wondering which album they would have just finished...

i dig his playing and his sound. i have'nt heard the new cd but i really like his earlier stuff. i'll have to check out his solo stuff too. imo, he's a hell of a musician.

PlasticMoonRain said:
With the Chili Peppers album out today, July's Guitar World is basically all about the band, especially guitarist John Frusciante. If you know anything about Frusciante, you'll appreciate the fact he is photographed as a devil with horns, and in another one, he is in a white tunic like a saint.

For one solo, he flipped the tape over and processed the guitar through an old EMT 250 digital reverb that was run through a high pass filter from his modular rig.

I like the fact the guy won't let anybody touch his stuff when he's into varispeeding tape to put guitars in different octaves, or flipping the tape over for backward effects. How retro!

Drew

Sounds a bit like Frippatronics. Fripp used to play demo sessions live with tape strung around the room passing through multiple tape decks.

Frippertronics: "Let the Power Fall" :eek: RHCP not my fave but definetely (sp?) influential to a lot of folks on this forum. Yikes, I can't spel today. I read a post here about compressing gtr's. JF lives in a compressor. The anti-dynamic. Peace.

Back