Free Elixir bass strings

Yeah...if you like bright bass sounds, my approach won't appeal...but I love a low, fat bass sound, and I don't really use it for country.
I think I can work it into a variety of styles....but again, it may not appeal to someone expecting a more twangy bass.

See, I came up in a time where we were trying to avoid that sound like the plague. That's what was associated with country.

I agree. I'm just the opposite of miro. I hate dull thud bass. It's cool and all for certain styles that I have no interest in, no doubt. But for me, I want attack and definition in my bass. Flat wounds feel great, but their sound has no place in my world unless I'm slapping an upright.

Oh, for sure. You definitely need that for reggae, and it's all the rage for most indie and pop stuff now, too.

I was just saying that when I started playing bass, that's what was associated with country, and among my peers at the time in my locale, there was nothing more widely detested than country, except maybe bubble gum and a little later disco. I actually like a lot of disco, because it had all the funky bass lines. Now if I'd been a drummer and had to play disco, I would've blown my brains out.

(This was in response to Miro, not Greg. in case someone hadn't figured that out.)

Last edited:
I agree. I'm just the opposite of miro. I hate dull thud bass..

I dunno...I don't hear it as dull thud...I mean, it's just very round/full, but I wouldn't call it dull thud.
I've got a couple of tunes I'm working on where the bass is actually doing some lead lines...they are more featured than just your typical low-end drone...and it certainly rides the mix quite articulately, even though it's very low and thick.

I've got a couple of up-tempo Rock-flavor tunes, and it's the same bass, and to my ears...it works. the bass isn't getting lost into some low-end drone.
That said, I do have my other bass that has lighter roundwound strings, and I've used it for a few things, and it's quite bright sounding to my ears.

I guess it's just a mater of taste. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of flat wounds for other people with the stuff they do. It just doesn't work for me or anything I do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound of flat wounds for other people with the stuff they do. It just doesn't work for me or anything I do.

+1

Has anybody got any word yet on how these sound? Sorry, I'm not signing up to AF just to find out.

& Now - 3 weeks later I get unsolicited emails from Elixir requesting more info from me so they can deliver more relevant information to me. HR, you set me up!!!

& Now - 3 weeks later I get unsolicited emails from Elixir requesting more info from me so they can deliver more relevant information to me. HR, you set me up!!!

Lol how is that our fault? You didn't even win a set, so Elixir never even got your email (not from us anyway)

unsub unsub unsub

You don't know how Calimoose?
People get directed to a freebie page that expires super quick.
Elixir send someone or somebot to harvest the names & contact details.
That's how.
How is it your fault?
Well, let me think.....oh, the site you assist with directs people to said page, due diligence not done.
BUT if you're a laissez-faire kind of person that'll come under "buyer/freebie wanter beware" clause of the Don't Blame Me agreement for site supervision I suppose.
It is the kind of thing that is unwelcome to say the least AND reduces trust of a site and the concern regarding the owner's true purpose for said site.

That's not entirely accurate.

It's true that you can receive unsolicited emails, as we've all experienced before. This is called opt-out marketing, where companies receive your email address whether you deliberately provided it or not. There's also opt-in marketing where you deliberately provide your email address (i.e. for a newsletter or to receive promotional offers). In either case, unless Elixir received your email address, they cannot legally contact you.

It is impossible that they received your email address from us, as we never took it from you or provided any way for them to receive it through us. Any redirects to Elixir's page from our end were never redirected to this 'freebie page that expires super quick' (what web people call a 'squeeze page').

In fact, the only redirects we provided were one that redirected to a photo which showed the different string gauges available (this photo was hosted on Audiofanzine, so it's impossible that it got nor provided any of your email information to Elixir). The other redirect was to this page here on Elixir's site, which as anyone who wants to can see, doesn't ever ask for contact information.

In fact, the only way Elixir received any email information from our members was directly from me, and I only gave the contact information of 20 testers, as obviously we needed their addresses for contact and to send the strings and goodies. These testers willingly gave me their email addresses, knowing I needed it to contact them. If they ever receive unsolicited emails from Elixir, they can easily opt-out. Because they received free strings (and I think a t-shirt), I don't think they thought clicking on 'unsubscribe' was too much of a burden. In any case, you were not one of the 20 testers.

Now, if you're seeing elixir advertisements on banners or in the middle of youtube videos or whatever, that's likely because of the use of cookies (i.e. recently I've researched and bought a few pedals. While researching on a site which uses cookies, they found out I was looking for pedals, and now I see nonstop Earthquaker Devices pedal commercials, even if I never once looked at Earthquaker Devices...). You can allow or block cookies on your end to help minimize this. We, however, can't adjust your cookie settings, nor control other sites and their use of cookies.

Your response was pretty sarcastic, so I'm sorry if my comment rubbed you the wrong way or disrespected you or something. But it's literally impossible that the links/posts on HR or Audiofanzine made you get unsolicited emails from Elixir. Hope that helps.

Back