Flat wounds, half rounds, why?

Back in my days of attempting to be a rock star, the guitarists I knew were shredders who knew music theory inside and out and would destroy a great conversation by introducing modes and scales and speaking a language that made me decide to start playing drums instead. At least I was then left do do more important things like drink beer and do other things that involved women and not practicing scales or arpeggios . LOL!

This ^^^^^

Guitarists by far know too much and talk too much about it. Add9 and dimished 4ths and phrygians....fuck all that shit.

In Hollywood, the Capitol of wanker, shredder types (courtesy of Musicians Institute), it was so bad the musicians wanted ads often had the statement "No MI need apply"
:D

Nobody wanted to deal with them in the real world.

In Hollywood, the Capitol of wanker, shredder types (courtesy of Musicians Institute), it was so bad the musicians wanted ads often had the statement "No MI need apply"
:D

Nobody wanted to deal with them in the real world.

Ever notice the a coincidence that many of those 'theory/shredder types' of the 90's era are now indulged in conspiracy theories and radical political posts on FB? I have.

Again I am turning my head, walking out the door (closing FB), and doing some productive things... :)

I find the same with bass players in music shops that try a bass with pop and slap, proves nothing about the sound of the bass, if I am trying a bass or doing a sound check I just play slow scale lines through a couple of octaves and across all the strings to check the eq, also tells you a lot about the actual bass and set up, oh and the string condition :laughings:. Slap pop wankers.

Alan.

Guitarists:

There's nothing wrong with knowing musical theory, its great for working on stuff... at home... alone. Its not like you need to bring it up in casual conversation as a talking point.

In my experience, bassists and keyboardists tend to be the ones with the most musical knowledge. The guy who needs to be told what key he's playing in? That would be the guitarist.

I figure there are 3-types of bassists: The lead players who grabbed the wrong instrument and have just stuck with it (geddy lee, les claypool, bootsy collins), professionals who just want to do the best job they can making the music sound good, and the ones who don't want to learn anything and figure they can get away with bass.

It seems most bass players I meet are guitar players who play bass, well, because someone has to.:rolleyes:

I only play bass when I'm recording something, so that's like never, but I do like thumping on them once in awhile.

Anyways, I'm probably going to buy a set of flats for my J-bass and try both a flat and half flat set on my guitars. I haven't quite figured out which ones will be the guinea pigs but I've got time to think about it because I'm waiting until Musician's Friend has their %off Labor Day deal.

I'm a bass player who only plays guitar to record and has tries to get away with the same 12 chords since 1976. I now find I'm limited by my laziness.

To be fair, you don't really need more than 12 to play the majority of songs - although you may have to transpose a few.

Late to the conversation here but wanted to throw in my experience with flat wound guitar strings. A number of years ago I bought a new RIC 325C64. It came with rounds and they sounded ok. Of course........that guitar is a jangly short scale that is known for certain 60's sounds. I put some Pyramid flats on it and holy crap........I've never looked back. For that guitar........and none of my others......flats just make it right.

C'mon - A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, G, is where I started in mid 1976, then a month later I was shown a very simple Bm to get me along the alphabet and an F#m. I "discovered", mid 80's, power chords/2 note 5ths by accident when trying to follow someone playing acoustic so that counts as 12.

I love flats for an old G&L bass I have. They sound great tracking more genres than I expected, especially good with Reggae. I have flats on an arch-top jazz guitar as well, I don't think rounds would do a jazz guitar justice (for me).

:)

do you guys who use flats string through the bridge or body?
do you notice any difference in tone?

One is through the bridge, the other through the body. No difference in tone that I've noticed.

Back