Fender Serial Number

Masters Of War

Does anyone know of a website that can provide info based on a serial number? I'm trying to find information on a Tele with the serial number mz2008555. Any help would be great, thanks.

Found a website with this, "MZ2 + 5 DIGITS = 2002-2003." However, the tele I'm looking at has six digits after mz2 not five. I'm looking for a little more info than year and place it was created (model, original price, specs, ect). Anyone know of a site where I can get this information? Thanks.

Masters Of War said:
Found a website with this, "MZ2 + 5 DIGITS = 2002-2003." However, the tele I'm looking at has six digits after mz2 not five. I'm looking for a little more info than year and place it was created (model, original price, specs, ect). Anyone know of a site where I can get this information? Thanks.

Looks like you did find the Fender site...

Not sure about the 6 digits after the MZ2, but "M" definitely pegs it as a Mexican-made Fender.

E-mail Fender and see what they have to say.

Fender would have you believe:

Better pickups;
better wood;
better fret job;
better paint;
better hardware.

better buy the US made.

But of course, it all depends on the individual model.
Some US models will be dawgs - some Mexicans really great.

Go play a bunch and take home the one that says "I'm yours!"

Masters Of War said:
Got another quick question, are there any major quality differences between U.S and Mexican made Telecasters? If so what are they?
Aside from the parts and materials, there are specific policies at the Ensenada plant that encourage bad workmanship. As a consequence, it appears in spades. Something I see a lot on Mexican Fenders is badly-seated frets, which is just inexcusable. The frets are sticking up with a big gap between the fretboard and the shoulder of the fret. Awful!

QC is really weak with the Mexican Fenders, even worse than the nominally-US-made Fenders, which is why I don't buy either. Only the Asian Fenders have consistently decent workmanship and detailing. Cutting costs by failing to detail the fretwork, for example, is chronic with FMIC Fenders.

Back