Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Favorite Bass recording approach & gear?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Radial is very thumbs up. common remarks: tank tough build, simple=enjoyable, sound is thumbs up, J=Jensen transformer , (passive /active) question ...J48 or JDI....the lucky winner has both. ha

the J48 arrived and my Squier Jazz plugged in, the mic cable plugged in. A first notice was the preamp/mic was cool at Center/12oclock w/ -6db volume, for perfect Tracking,no hassle. Pushed all the buttons no sound difference heard except for the 180 phase.

interface/instrument vs the DI/J48 was super easy to do thanks to the THRU jack. Track 1=> inst/interface and Track 2=> J48(micIn). Comparing both dry I could hear a difference, J48 had more clarity. Adding a Reaper ROCK BASS plug I felt matched the J48 really close. (see pic)

With all the street creds by real bass players &studio engineers the Radial DI reminds me of the SM7 and RE20 of mics, pro level, pro built, good sound, consistent, reliable great working mans tank built gearhead stuff, decent price for HR too.
    OTB vs ITB, for those times when $10 is like $1000, ITB can get there. But it makes sense ProBass players going from gig to gig and studio sessions and p[ractices could rely on a DI box like this and get a solid track without hassles with confidence. Interesting stuff, love it....thumbs up. Of course having the DI-J48 T2 and the T1 playing same time is best (sound clip is dry T1 then dry T2 (j48) then both....20second mp3)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rock-bass-eq-j48-png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by CoolCat; 11-18-2017 at 09:56.

if it's not happening in the room, it ain't gonna happen on tape.-HG

Thanks
    Here's a thread I posted in the clinic, of a song that has a bass track done with the radial. It's not a perfect mix but I think the bass is pretty solid.

Crazy on Saturday night
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    did you have to process it at all?
    im thinking one of the biggest benefits of the DI is not needing much work ITB...track it and done.
    good boogie woogie track, chuck berry ish...the vocals were really well done, clean and nice tone. the bass was tight.

been obsessively reading about the JDI & J48 and the dude at Radial makes a comment the active one is more sensitive and im not sure thats always good when the player is mediocre(myself)...as it will capture more string scratches and inconsistency's of a lower level player. ...where the passive has the more normal natural transformer saturation that wouldnt clip, and kind of tame the signal some. splitting hairs maybe... I wasnt clipping with the J48.

jimi ..so is this your first DI or an upgrade?

Thanks
    The only processing I did on the bass was a limiter and just a hair of chorus. I also have reverb on the master bus that you hear on everything including the bass
    I was country before they took the O out.

Thanks
    I took the J48 back, the interface I have sounds fine. The tests do offer info the interface is alright, as so many like the Radial especially real bass players. I'd like to try the Passive too just to hear it, some hifreq loss would be good for me to remove the string scratchy-slides of a novice bass player. anyway....this interface is pretty good per the test.

Thread Information