[Done] Shopping for a low-budget bass

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Linkback to mentioned thread (see post #2)

@Chili - I'm now looking for a low-budget bass with decent sound and playability. I was checking out a similar thread from last January where you mentioned how satisfied you are with your Yamaha RBX170. My music store shows one in stock for $199, so I'll head up there and check it out. Thanks.

Here's a YouTube demo. I can't tell what he's plugged into, but it sounds good.

YouTube demo

Last edited:
I have had good luck with Ibanez basses also. Really depends on the neck width for most whether they find a bass playable. Or guitar for that matter. which you probably already knew:thumbs up:

I'm comfortable with just about any bass neck. I remember my first P-Bass.. took me a few songs to get used to the wider neck - compared to the SG, Jazz and Hofner Beatle basses I had been using.

The store has some similarly priced Ibanez basses in stock - I'll check them out too. Thanks ;)

Cool. Glad to hear someone is listening to my random babblings. :D

I have an MIM P-Bass that I've been using almost exclusively. I haven't touched the yamaha in a while, but I will never part with it. In fact, now that you brought it up, I might pull the yamaha out and compare it directly with the Fender. Should be fun.

I recently picked up an Ibanez Talman that I'm very happy with. (Never say never, but as of yet I haven't played a low budget Soundgear or Geo that I liked.) Cost is around the same as a Squier Affinity Jazz, which I also have. In both cases they have no dead spots, reasonable action and they're comfortable in my hands. For the Squier I found the pickups to be very one dimensional and lifeless so I put Nordstrands in it. The Ibanez sounds just fine in stock form, plus it comes with a 2 band preamp. I'm also familiar with a couple of the Yamaha basses you're looking at, and they're very decent instruments for the cost.

I've also played a few other Affinity and Talman basses that I wouldn't buy, simply because they don't play as nice as the ones I have. I'd be reluctant to buy any guitar I haven't played. But yeah, there's some good values out there if you dig around.

I see the active Ibanez is the same price as the Yamaha w/o active. Something to consider. Thanks.

When I enter the store and head for the bass guitars, I'll have to walk by the 50s Classic Strat I want more than a new bass. I'll have to make sure to leave my debit card at home...:p

I just picked up my Yamaha RBX170, along with a new cable and gig bag. I checked it out using an Ampeg BA115V2 1x15 Bass Combo. The guitar is jet black - it was their floor model.. only one in stock.

I haven't touched a bass since I sold my Hofner, Jazz and P-bass.. about 9 years ago. This Yamaha feels pretty good. The action could come down a hair but it feels and plays fine. The neck is very comfortable and it sits well in my lap.

I plugged it into Reaper via my interface using a 1/4" instrument line. The dry sound is very good and this bass has got oodles of sustain - I like that. I was going to add a compression/sustainer but this guitar doesn't need it.

It came with round wound strings - I prefer round wound. It was slightly out of tune and tuned up easily - another good sign. I was going to get a hard case if I could've found one for under $99 but as I was researching reviews, several people mentioned basses with Jazz-like bodies didn't fit into the body section. The Fender Jazz cases have a longer body section to allow for this, and I didn't want to shell out for one of those so I went with the $39 gig bag. I'm not playing out so that ought to hold me.

I want to thank you guys for your suggestions. I'm happy again.. :D

Now to find some amp sims to play with..

Cool man. I think the yamaha will serve its purpose well. When I recorded it DI, I used an 1176 plug and a little EQ and got some great tones out of it.

Also, I use the Ampeg BA210 for live use. What a great amp it is. It just sounds good.

Back