Does this recording sound right? Audio files and pics in here

whirlwindRA

Hey, I'm having a bit of trouble getting a good electric guitar (distortion) sound through my mics. I'm using 3 different mics, and I've tried all the different positions that all the guides give you. Yet something just sounds wrong with it. The mics are the Audix f5, Shure SM58, and an AT2050 condenser set to cardioid. I was hoping to just use the f5, but I threw in the others just to see what I could get. In these recordings, the f5 is sorta mid-edge on the cone, the SM58 is off-axis on the edge, and condenser is about 1.5 feet back. Each mic individually sounds pretty bad, and that's not as expected. See the pics for details on how I placed them. I provided the audio mixdown, all I did was pan in appropriately and turn some stuff down. I also provided all the tracks in case someone wanted to put it into a DAW or something.

So basically I'm asking why does this sound so bad and how can I fix it? Should I move a mic?

(UPDATED with correct files)
Rough Mixdown:

Audio files (.zip): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54393172/Mictest Audio.zip]

IMG_20111223_135018.jpg

IMG_20111223_135006.jpg

IMG_20111223_134946.jpg

Last edited:
In your rough mix, either the 3 mic tracks are not lined up correctly, or you have some stereo delay/fx going on there. The first possibility could means you have some phase issues. Not sure the sound you are going for, but when recording distorted guitars, everyone advises: Less distortion is better.

Last edited:
In your rough mix, either the 3 mic tracks are not lined up correctly, or you have some stereo delay/fx going on there. The first possibility could means you have some phase issues. Not sure the osund you are going for, but when recording distorted guitars, everyone advises: Less distortion is better.

Yes there is some phasing issues, but I just figured that was due to mic placement. And I have no clue how the tracks wouldn't be aligned when recorded simultaneously. Mainly my concern is that even using only one mic doesn't sound very good

I DL'd your files. Seriously dude? 58 tracks of guitars? That might be part of your problem. Also, look at where you have the mics. Edges of speakers always sound dark and muddy. Also, you've got phase disaster written all over that setup. If you want a room mic, use a room mic. Put it out in the room. A mic one foot away is a phase nightmare. Some of your tracks sound decent by themselves, but like shit once you pile them all together. Again, phase problem. Simplify, dude. You sabotaged yourself with all these shenanigans and tracks. And cut back on the gain.

Crap... I think some extra takes got mixed in there. Thanks tho

EDIT: I took out all the extras. Now it's down to 12 or so. And they aren't all meant to be used, it's more or less of a test. And I did the condenser that way because that was the setup when I went to a studio once.

Yes there is some phasing issues, but I just figured that was due to mic placement. And I have no clue how the tracks wouldn't be aligned when recorded simultaneously. Mainly my concern is that even using only one mic doesn't sound very good

Can't say, not knowing the signal path, but some short mic cables and long cables all being used at once could make incremental differences, then the phase issue (not all mics at teh same distance from the speaker) would do it too. Listen to your rough mix in mono. Mute tracks 1 at a time to figure out where the problems are.

I was going to take a listen to the tracks and see what I could come up with, but the download link is bad. MP3 sounds quite dark.

Can't say, not knowing the signal path, but some short mic cables and long cables all being used at once could make incremental differences, then the phase issue (not all mics at teh same distance from the speaker) would do it too. Listen to your rough mix in mono. Mute tracks 1 at a time to figure out where the problems are.

The difference in mic cable length would have to be measured in miles (and lots of them) before there would be a measurable phase difference from that cause.

A difference in distance of a foot would result in a phase difference of just over a millisecond, also inaudible in any normal situation.

Greg_L is correct that putting your two close mics right at the edge of the speaker will be a very muddy and unpleasant sound.

I know it sound silly but a good bet is to get on your hands and knees right by the cabinet and listen to the sound you hear at each place (hard if you're playing yourself I know, but...). You'll be amazed at the difference a few inches of positioning can make.

However, I'd go with two mics only....one a few inches out about half way between the edge of the speaker and the centre, angled slightly towards the middle with the distant condenser more like a metre or more away.

The difference in mic cable length would have to be measured in miles (and lots of them) before there would be a measurable phase difference from that cause.

A difference in distance of a foot would result in a phase difference of just over a millisecond, also inaudible in any normal situation.

I understand that, just trying to come up with the reason the rough mix has such 'delay' issues.

To align the tracks...pick one track as your reference (probably the most close-miked), then slide the others until they align with it visually and sonically.

Also...IMHO...if it doesn't sound very good with one mic, adding more isn't going to give you "more=better". :)

I tend to rarely use more than one mic on a guitar cab, though I have...but you need to first get that one mic to sound good (position, test, position, test)... then whatever other mics you want to toss around the cab/room...they are just there for flavor.
You can mix them in or not...but don't just put up a lot of mics hoping that somehow the sum will sound great.

Your text mix is on the dull/muted side...so focus on that.

Like others have mentioned...too far at the edge of the cones will sound darker/muddier. Right at the cone can sound harsh/spikey. Also, you can aim the mic head-on at a spot on the cone...or you can turn it off-axis, so the mic is at a slight angle to the cone.

First...find which speaker in your cab sounds best. Don't blow your ears out, but you kinda have to get your head down by the speakers and find the one that you like the most.
Then...start at one spot on the cone and move the mic around until you find what you like.
Don't confuse what you are hearing standing up 10 feet away with what the mic is hearing 10" away.

This is why you need to do some tests...and that will pay off later on when you record again. You will *know* where to put mics for your rig/room without wasting a lot of time. :)

Back