do any of you play pedal steel?

jimistone

long standing member
I would like to collaborate with a pedal steel player on some recodings. If anyone is interested please respond to this thread or pm me.
Thanks

I feel that is is my destiny to play pedal steel. But I don't do it yet. You're probably in a hurry, but if you can wait about 20 years, I'm your guy.

Don't you have a pedal steel?

Yeah, all I have is a lap steel too - a fine 1950's Supro student model 2x4 (which actually sounds fantastic). I'm not very good, unfortunately -- I bet beezelbubba is a better bet.

But I'm tellin' ya - some time in the 2030's, I'm all over that stuff.

I do some lap steel. Don't really even understand the pedal steel thing. Too bad. I'd love to collab w/you, Jimi!
PM me an email address and I'll send you the file beez. Jordo did percussion on it.
By the way, I would also like some accordian on it. Do you play the squeeze box? (Or have a syth with a believable squeeze box sound)

Last edited:
sold my D10, looking for an affordable S10

I just sold my S10............and got a Nissan Xterra. :p ;)

I didn't even want to mention it, because I am by no means a pedal steel *player*...but I have a pedal steel, and I've used it a couple of times on some recordings. Just real basic stuff, 4-5 notes and a little pedal action to give it that country vibe.
That said...it's been several years since I touched it...so I didn't want to put my ass out on a limb and volunteer to record tracks for you as a real pedal steel player. :D

That said, if Beezelbubba doesn't give you what you need (which I'm sure he will, he's a very competent guitar player)...I can offer to piddle with my pedal for you. :)

PM me an email address and I'll send you the file beez. Jordo did percussion on it.
By the way, I would also like some accordian on it. Do you play the squeeze box? (Or have a syth with a believable squeeze box sound)

I believe my guitar synth has an accordion patch. I'll look into it.

I bought a Fender 400 a couple of years ago, and my God, they are complicated to play. I made good progress at first, but the internet then introduces you to different copendents, and you have to relearn what the pedals do - It's a bit like learning a helicopter instead of a fixed wing - chords components suddenly become really important and learning pedal steel really makes your brain spin! Good fun though.

... different copendents, and you have to relearn what the pedals do - It's a bit like learning a helicopter instead of a fixed wing - chords components suddenly become really important and learning pedal steel really makes your brain spin!

I just fly by the seat of my pants and go with what sounds good to me based on what I can pull off without making my head spin.

:D

I'll work up 3-4 multi-note licks for a song, combining picking, left hand movement/position and a couple of pedals...
...and then I'll just do variations around them.
Don't ask me anything technical about what I am playing...I just go with my ears.

(working on it tonight a bit, jimistone)

I just fly by the seat of my pants and go with what sounds good to me based on what I can pull off without making my head spin.

:D

I'll work up 3-4 multi-note licks for a song, combining picking, left hand movement/position and a couple of pedals...
...and then I'll just do variations around them.
Don't ask me anything technical about what I am playing...I just go with my ears.

(working on it tonight a bit, jimistone)

My kind of player! :D

Nice! Hopefully I'm going to mess around with it today, if my ADHD allows it! :D
miroslav is going to do some pedal steel too. I think the combination of lap steel and pedal steel will sound really cool plus give it a fat sound. The accordion would fit in nicely. I may end up taking out the flanged electric ryhthym guitar. It sounds almost out of tune but I tuned it before cutting the guitar track. I think that just may be an illusion of the flange effect on it. Anyway I'm not sure I like it at this point

I started last night, but like I mentioned...I've not touched the pedal steel in years...so when I went to get it tuned, I had to stop and adjust some of the pedals/rods that give it that pedal steel vibe...and that took up more time than I thought.

So I'll hopefully do some playing/recording today. :)

I'm just going to riff out where it feels right throughout the song.
When you get my track and the other tracks....you can edit out what you don't want and/or where there is too much overlap between the instruments....or just dump the whole track if you think it sucks. :D

I'm glad I've coaxed you into breaking out your pedal steel again. Maybe it will rekindle a passion for the instrument. Man, I wish I could play pedal steel. I would cover all those Merle haggard classics and Ray price shuffle tunes. I LOVE that stuff!
(Then I would have to learn to play fiddle to do those twin fiddle breaks lol)

I got pretty far on the Marlen learning all the pedals and knee levers on the E9 neck. Didn't screw with the C6 neck much. Was able to get any chord I wanted, diminished, diminised 7ths etc. pretty cool instruments.

I'm glad I've coaxed you into breaking out your pedal steel again. Maybe it will rekindle a passion for the instrument. Man, I wish I could play pedal steel. I would cover all those Merle haggard classics and Ray price shuffle tunes. I LOVE that stuff!
(Then I would have to learn to play fiddle to do those twin fiddle breaks lol)

You might like the video of Release Me on my YT channel.

https://youtu.be/tzRNppl1-1Q

I got pretty far on the Marlen learning all the pedals and knee levers on the E9 neck. Didn't screw with the C6 neck much. Was able to get any chord I wanted, diminished, diminised 7ths etc. pretty cool instruments.

I'll have to check out the Marlen method.

So man, if you play and you got that stuff down...why don't you do a track of jimistone?

I'm just a pedal steel hack. I spent last night getting reacquainted with my PS...but toward the end I found the sweet spot and got the pedals/levers under control well enough to where I was puling off a few decent licks...but it's like an accident waiting to happen.
I think if I make a wrong move with my feet and my knees, I may be singing soprano! :D

I'm hoping to lay down the actual track today.

Back