do any of you play pedal steel?

Mmmm...there's a lot of used ones on eBay....many are quality, high-end, name brand steels.
I've seen everything from $800 to $3k.

The stage one looks decent...looks very much like the Carter Starter, which was about the same price, though now no longer in production since 2010 when the company founder died.

Carter Carter-Starter Steel Guitar/Accessories Bundle | Musician's Friend
Well, I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. That's why I've been lurking around then steel guitar forum....that's all they talk about over there. It's a general concensus over there that the carter starter steel ducks...the show bud maverick starter steel doesn't suck but you would have to add knee levers...and the stage one is very good right out of the box

I can't comment on quality differences...I just meant that the Stage One and Carter Starter look very similar.

When I bought my used one, I looked at the Carter, and decided it was too plain-Jane.

At this point, I'm not buying anything better than what I have...but if I could do it over...I would go for something more upscale.
Nothing in the $2k-$3k top-pro range...but I think it would be worth getting something better in the $1500-$2k range only because I can see how with a pedal steel...with all the mechanics involved...quality/precision craftsmanship and materials make a big difference.

A smooth playing steel sure makes the whole thing easier.
One thing though...having/playing this used one, I now know much better what I would want out of a pro/better one...and what type of customization I would want AFA the pedals and levers...I don't like the standard position of pedals, way off to the left...and some of the knee levers are not comfortable for how I like to sit....but until you sit at one and play a bit, it's not easy to guess where you would want things.

It's almost like "what's the best LDC mic I can buy for 200 bucks?" Is here.
They get "what's the best pedal steel I can get for 800 bucks?" Overthere

I can't comment on quality differences...I just meant that the Stage One and Carter Starter look very similar.

When I bought my used one, I looked at the Carter, and decided it was too plain-Jane.

At this point, I'm not buying anything better than what I have...but if I could do it over...I would go for something more upscale.
Nothing in the $2k-$3k top-pro range...but I think it would be worth getting something better in the $1500-$2k range only because I can see how with a pedal steel...with all the mechanics involved...quality/precision craftsmanship and materials make a big difference.

A smooth playing steel sure makes the whole thing easier.
One thing though...having/playing this used one, I now know much better what I would want out of a pro/better one...and what type of customization I would want AFA the pedals and levers...I don't like the standard position of pedals, way off to the left...and some of the knee levers are not comfortable for how I like to sit....but until you sit at one and play a bit, it's not easy to guess where you would want things.

Is the one you have now a double neck?

The deck was meant for a double-neck (it's got the two step thing)...but mine only has a single neck on the top step, and a wrist/arm cushion on the lower step that was added to it...which is REALLY great to have.

I know most of the pros play without the rest...but I love having it. It let's me play comfortably, and helps with ease of arm/wrist control and placement. I'm sure when you get to pro level, you don't feel the need for one...but I'm not going to get there any time soon. :D

That's one of the reasons I bought this used one....when I saw the cushioned rest, it looked like the one I should get.

Man, I was checking out some YouTube videos today and there is one named "buddy emmons practice session" that is amazing. He has a really good band and they run through a few numbers. Buddy emmons will make you give up on steel before you even get started.
He works out on the c6 neck with some incredible jazz. He does the crying country....even the stuff he does as backup while the other players in the band solo is awsome.
How does someone get that damn good?

Miroslav sent me the pedal steel guitar track. I haven't listened to it yet because I'm at work. I'm going to load it into my daw tommorrow and I'm going to rerecord the rythym guitar(without flanger) and the lead guitar.
Hope to post the song in the clinic soon. Jordo is on percussion and miroslav is on pedal steel.
It's going to be a great collab!
Thanks miro!

Like I said in the PM...this last track isn't really a "track". IOW, it won't just drop in and play along with the rest like the other tracks did. It's more a collection of "fills" that you can use as needed where the other tracks didn't give you what you wanted.

I really wish I could have laid down a couple of killer pedal steel tracks with all the best playing and tasteful licks for you....but based on my very limited experience with playing pedal steel....this is the best you get from me at this point. :)

Maybe if I practice more often....heck, I might even get to Carnegie Hall. :D
Hell...I have little time to devote to pedal steel. I haven't picked up a guitar to play in like 3 months (honestly)...I've been working mostly on already recorded tracks and working the songs up toward final mixes.

Back