DIY Isolation Cabs

Scooter B

Has anyone done any DIY Isolation Cabs?

I got to thinking about it when I miked
my drum machine through a 2-10 bass cab and close mic's with an SM-57. I kept the drum machine direct out in stereo to tracks 1 and 2 and inserted just a touch of the mic'd sound. It really made it sound more live and added an ambient mic feel but I disgress.

My idea was that it would be much more economical using good quality 5"- 6" speakers like you see advertised at Parts Express. The cost of wood, dampening material and the amount of power amp needed would be much less expensive than a 12" and would take much less space for those of us relegated to a bedroom (or a corner of our bedroom in my case).

The catch is of course the change in frequency response charateristics and the relationship of the speaker size to microphone size.

I guess I am just an experimentor at heart and If I had LOTS of money I would still want to build one and buy one and compare.

I have discovered through experience that DIY is rarely less expensive but there are exceptions. Anyone see major potential problems with using the smaller sized speakers if they have a good frequency response and the power amp and ohms etc are well matched?

What other microphone options are there reguarding an "good match"
if the sound is good out of the smaller speaker but the SM-57 sized mic is not suited for the smaller speaker?

It would be a year or two at least before I would try to do it. I need to upgrade from a 4-track cassette and get some decent preamps and a couple of good mic's, good reverb and effects first but with no budget right now to work with all I can do is dream, plan and kick around ideas.

So no ones done this before?

Oh well I may try it some day I just figured someone else had tried it before.

Back