DIY Guitar Stand

Wish

Never Sarcastic....Honest
I've been looking at those metal stands that hold 7 guitars for $70...like this:

455002.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/455002/

I'm thinking I could make something similar out of PVC for less than $20...

I was thinking I wouldn't need to have the rubber stuff on the PVC as long as I was gentle with the guitars when storing and retrieving them. I was also thinking I could spray paint it...but was a little concerned about the paint affecting the guitar finishes...

Whaddaya think? Anybody done anything similar to this? Any tips or things to avoid?

spend $70 and buy the stand. Or look around your local music shops, the Music Go Round was selling a used 6 guitar rack display (they used it in the store) for $40.

You can build it out of PVC, and be careful, but how many times are you going to remember to be careful putting them down? Spray paint it and spend an extra 10 bucks on foam and put it around the PVC.

How many guitars do you have anyway?

I'm up to 2 acoustics, 4 electrics, and a bass.

Customizing it for the wider space needed for the acoustics was appealing too...

i built an electric guitar stand for a DT project 3 years ago - it was my welding project, and it was made out of metal. wasn't too hard. took a while though.

i'm pretty sure you can buy multiple guitar stands with space for both acoustic and electic guitars.

http://www.studiospares.com/productdetails.asp?pid=35196&order=&cid=2416&gid=13&ctitle=GUITAR%20STANDS&p=1

they sell a 2 electric 1 acoustic model. you could buy two, and a seperate single one for bass. thinking about it though - i have a friend who uses one for both acoustics, electrics and bass. they're all exactly the same size and i don't think he ever has any problems with fitting them all in...

Andy

Clive Hugh said:
PVC is plastic and breaks and paint makes many plastics weak which is why Industrial Hard hats are never painted.

Then how do they get them so yellow?

Oh, and I got a guitarstand that was literally 5 dollars. Only a single, for electric, (a bass might tip it over) but its been very good.

A pegboard mounted securely to the wall, painted and with nice looking hangers for hanging them by the neck is pretty inexpensive and takes up no floor space. However, just as with a multistand, they collect dust and are open to any greasy hand that comes along.

It was one of the best things i've ever bought. Don't shit yourself about the price and get a 4 guitar stand. You will need a 7 guitar stand. The Rockstands are really good quality.

They are hard to fit in your car though.

And I forgot about another acoustic guitar that I recently purchased...make that 8 guitars.

I've also considered building something on the wall too...that could be kind of a cool display...I record in a small bedroom...probably 12 x 13 feet...so space is definitely a consideration...I don't even know where I would squeeze in that 7 guitar stand...getting them off the floor would be a good thing...they're all over the place now....leaning up against walls and furniture.

I probably won't do the PVC...

But what to do....what to do...

Yes you'll have to put some kind of foam down, or else the guitars are going to be sliding everywhere on the PVC pipe.

In my opinion, I think it would be easier (and nicer looking) to make one out of wood.

Go for it dude but considering materials, labor, reliability, instant gratification and such...those stands are a pretty good deal actually.

I thought about building a wood multi guitar stand, but when I added cost of materials, labor and the final weight, I decided to buy a 7 stand (actually I bought two - but only put 4 guitars on each, which leaves plenty of space in between).

I was concerned about the long term effect of the foam on the guitar finish, so I bought large bath towels to cover the bottom of the stand and several wash cloths to lay over the neck support - this way the guitars sit on nice soft fabric.

I always like wall hangers. It gets them off the floor and there is generally little chance that they will bump together, which can happen for most rack stands. You can buy them for 6-10$ each most places.

Ed

That's cool, Buck.

What did you use for the tubing that the guitars sit on? Is that just PVC or metal underneath the insulation?

That's another good idea.

Back