Digital Delay Effects

Masters Of War

I'm looking to get a delay box and thought I would ask all you knowledgeable people what would be my best bet. I don't want to spend over $200 and so far the best thing I've seen is Boss's DD-20. Is this a good effects box, I mean compared to others in the same price range. Any suggestions or help ould be awesome.

i haven't used the dd20 yet. but i used a dd6 for a while and didn't like it. the tap tempo is horrendous. its near impossible to use live. the dd5 with an external tap pedal would work much better.

so i sold the dd6 on ebay and bought a line6 dl4. now that is one increadible delay pedal. its a little higher than your price range though. it runs around $250. although you might be able to find one on ebay for under 200.

i would suggest testing out the dl4 and comparing it to the dd20.

briefly tested someone elses pedal board once and they happened to have a dd-20. i didnt examine it precisely but what it did seemed pretty good. tap actually worked well.

The tap tempo on the DD-20 was thankfully made a separate pedal. I have a DD-6, and as mishagolin said, the tap tempo is almost useless. I also second what was said about the Line6 DL4. I've been using one for about a year and a half now, and it's solid and sounds good.

I actually like the DD20 a bit better than the DL-4. I tried both out for about an hour before I bought the DD20. Tap tempo is very easy with it. It seems a bit sturdier than the DL-4, especially if you're gonna use it on the road. I know Johnny Greenwood has used the DL-4 live, but I also know he has gone through a few. Here's a link to a thread I started a while ago about the same question:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=123302&highlight=DD20

Well I guess it's just a YMMV situation. I've had several Boss pedals completely crap out on me, and the only problem I've ever had with the DL-4 was that the inside locknut for the tap tempo switch came off and the switch fell out. 10 minutes with a screwdriver and a pair of pliers, and it was fixed.

Back