Deal of the Year? -The Alvarez MD5000 Acoustic Guitar -$999

mcmd

I think that this an incredible deal - tell why it's not!

MF stupod deal The Alvarez MD5000 Masterworks Acoustic Guitar - $999

solid Engelmann spruce top bound
Back/Sides: Solid Brazilian rosewood
Fingerboard: Ebony

MF has 45 day return

/mcmd

It seemed to be an ok deal. The Alvarez's do have some nice guitars - the manufacturer price was around 2800, but I wonder what the actual street is on those. On ebay, there are a lot of Alvarez's, but they're not really selling like hotcakes on the expensive ones.

I'm guessing it's a $1000 guitar that you're getting for $999. You're not getting ripped off, but it's not the deal of the century by any means.

But maybe I'm totally wrong on this. I've never played one of these specifically.

The cheap Allvarezes I've played have been nice, but that doesn't seem absolutely out of the ballpark for a well-made 2nd tier production acoustic...

Sold out!

I was tempted when I saw top notch tone woods, but I have no experience with Alvarez...

I can't imagine that these tone woods are being 'slapped on to some low-to-mid level grade guitar....

.....retail looks like $2K and probably $1700 if you dare to ask...

/mcmd

Maybe it's just me--but even at a steal of a price, I couldn't buy an acoustic online. Even within the same exact brand/model they just play differently.

My last purchase was a Seagull, and while I was impressed with how consistent the sound was among the guitars I sampled, they all played differently. Now I know a lot of that can be tweaked (I'm far more effective doing so with an electric) but it was nice to get one that played like a dream from the get go. And to do that I played a dozen of 'em at three different shops.

Maybe it's just me--but even at a steal of a price, I couldn't buy an acoustic online. Even within the same exact brand/model they just play differently.

WhiteStrat - I think you hit the nail on the head. You really have to play the silly things to understand what you're getting into.

I wonder how many of these will end up on Ebay over the next few months.

WhiteStrat - I think you hit the nail on the head. You really have to play the silly things to understand what you're getting into.

I wonder how many of these will end up on Ebay over the next few months.

If I recall, you've got a Seagull too, dontcha? I know it would be true with any acoustic, but after I got turned on to the brand, I played 'em for a month. Music Folk in Webster had the most, but I found the gem in a year old (read: pre beat up--just a bit) Artist at McMurray just before they went down for the count.

If I recall, you've got a Seagull too, dontcha? I know it would be true with any acoustic, but after I got turned on to the brand, I played 'em for a month. Music Folk in Webster had the most, but I found the gem in a year old (read: pre beat up--just a bit) Artist at McMurray just before they went down for the count.

You know what's funny about that is that my wife got me that for Christmas years ago. So I didn't play it before it showed up under the tree - and totally unexpected.

So that was truly a "deal of the year" for me! :)

Back