custom axe commissioned - the Williams Special

GONZO-X

View attachment 102434
View attachment 102435
View attachment 102436

just thought i'd share, in case anyone else is thinking about custom builds.

The Williams Special

The Williams Special is a Les Paul-Strat-Mustang-Explorer hybrid, with hollow body cavities, Mustang scale length,
built like a paul with mahagony and maple top, with vintage-dimension strat body, explorer headstock.

(semi-related: my first 'good' guitar was a '75 Fender Mustang.)

This guitar was commissioned in 1986.

It is a Gibson Les paul-Fender strat-Fender mustang-Gibson explorer HYBRID.
-built by Stan Williams, Rome Georgia.

-based on the Fender Mustang scale length at 24.0"....this design is also similar to brian may's red special.

*honduras mahogany body, with air cavities carved in the body below the maple top.
*flame maple top, 3/8" thick.
*vintage-dimension strat body.
*2-piece flame maple neck, with ebony fingerboard.
*no truss rod!
there are (2) rectangular pieces of aircraft aluminum running the length of the fretboard.
*flame maple veneer on headstock; front, sides, and back.
*jumbo frets, nickle alloy
*custom inlays: mother of pearl, diamond shape, with a split diamond around the center pickup.
*Kahler 2300 pro tremelo.
*(3) off/on switches
*master volume, master tone, 3rd pot now unwired-
*Pickups: originally equipped with a EMG SA assembly, and the 3rd knob was the presence control.
--now has (2) bill lawrence L-280's, and a duncan Little 59 humbucker in the bridge.
*explorer headstock shape, true to scale.
*long tenon set neck
*13 degree tilt back headstock
*graphtec nut, with locking kahler nut mounted behind it.

*Wood: the Flame maple used on the top and neck, and veneers, was from a large timber
(139 years old as of 2014) salvaged from a barn in Illinois.

The honduras was acquired long before there were conservation laws on that particular wood
(blank dates back to pre-1980).

design criteria:

the les paul connection:
the basics of the les paul (the obvious basics) are:

slab mahogony body;
maple top;
strings on top of body;
2 piece maple neck;
glued in neck, long tenon;
tilt back headstock, no string trees required.

later, in 2008, they started weight relieving the standards, but remember, i built this in 1986.
so, the Gibson nod starts there.

This one has:
Honduras mahagony body -- maple top -- strings on top of body via the Kahler -- 2 piece maple neck
-- a glued in neck with long tenon -- tilt back headstock.

My design tried to improve on my favorite aspects of the 4 different guitars, the mustang, explorer, strat and paul.

for example:

*the volute on the explorer headstock is inherently stronger than the les paul (commonly known over time for breaks at the neck),
plus i liked the headstock shape

*the weight relief is secondary-- the sound cavities i had routed strictly for that semi-acoustic property,
making the guitar, at stage volume, extremely lively - this followed the basics of the Brian May Red Special,
which was my starting point. his guitar is designed more like a 335 than mine, but i went there as much as i could
without floating the top over a central beam

*the ebony fretboard brings out more les paul-style tonal characteristics than, say, a rosewood fretboard would have

*the glue in neck was a must, and unlike the les paul, which has that awkward heel, mine is smoothed out right into the back of the body, without so
much as a line, almost invisible. the tonal effect with the glued in neck, and the long tenon is an obvious connection to the les paul lineage

*the tilt back headstock was unnecessary with the kahler locking nut, but i added it anyway,
feeling that the downward pressure of the strings still helps to maintain a strong connection to the neck,
vibration wise, and this is very much in les paul territory

*the strings on top, versus thru the body, is a very important link to the overall sound,
and the use of the kahler is a great way to bridge the gap between a stop tailpiece and a floating trem.

*though Kahler did not have it then, they now have a 'hybrid' tailpiece, that can lock as a hard tail, or float as a trem.
best of both. i have one on my '84 Carvin DC200k, and will eventually updgrade this one with one as well.

That's pretty cool Gonzo. The striping on the back of the neck is wild. Still play it often?

That's pretty cool Gonzo. The striping on the back of the neck is wild. Still play it often?

hey robus,
yes, i play this all the time.
it's like a mazerati.

fast mean down and dirty
takes some finesse to play and not whack chords out of tune or overbend stuff...

it feels and plays a lot like the brian may red guitar (i've played the burns version and the guild version)

Do you guys have issue going from full scale to shorter?

i don't have any issue with it.

it does take a good long practice session to get it dialed in to feel natural,
but i have 5 guitars i play on constant rotation, so i kinda keep in touch with all of them.

funny how guitars are all so different, and really take a different mindset to get the most out of them.

To me the short scale get tight in terms of fret spacing past 14th fret, and it makes the adjustment a bit weird each time I go to my shorter guitar. It also has worse intonation, I think due to the shorter scale. I was just curious if this was normal and others deal with it. It's not a huge deal and I play that guitar a lot, but seeing the 24" made me wonder your thoughts on it.

the quality of the build determines how good the intonation,
in my experience.

i can play chords above the 12th fret and have them be dead on.
requires a lighter touch tho......

i could slap together some killer parts and build a mustang, for example..

but that would not be what this guitar is.
different animal.

Back