Converting a 4 string bass to accomodate 120. B string/tuning

enemyofthesun

I want to know what experience you all might have changing a 4 string to accomodate a big 120.-125. B string/tuning

I currently own spector and ibanez high end 5 string basses but really want to play a fender J bass, for the speed and ease of a 4 string and most importantly to get the fender sound. I DO need a low B for my band.

My guesses are that I need the nut changed and the tension rod adjusted. Will this work??

I tune my bass to A and I didnt need any major adjustments. I use the heaviest GHS bass boomers. The only thing you are likely to need is an intonation adjustment. I cant remember if I had mine done or not. I did the same with my guitar and it took some serious planning and adjustment to get it to work. but it does.

In '93, our new band kept tuning lower and lower at every practice until we arrived at C. My strings were flapping in the breeze! I took my bass to the shop and after explaining what I wanted to the bemused luthier, I left it in his hands. (By the way, I had decided to go down to B by then.)

When I got the bass back it was tuned gnarly low but had the correct intonation and action. Eventually we did like a lot of metal bands do with their instruments - tune down a step from E to D - but with our modified guitars we ended up at A. Since the bass had been set up well, I didn't have any problems dropping the extra step.

When we did sound checks at gigs then, the soundmen didn't know what to make of it. "You're getting a low A out of a four string bass?" My strings looked like suspension bridge cables. In that era of grunge and (around here) bad metal, we were the only ones rumbling around below D but still playing melodically.

I sure was bitter when Korn popularized that low sound years after we did it, but that's what we get for being an extremely talented but lazy, stoner-staffed band - complete obscurity.

Back