Configuring a Lo-TRS II

tvaillan

Before you throw up your hands and ask why the hell did i get a gutar with a lo-trs II ... let me show you my account balance ...

----
0$

Ok so my Ibanez has a lo-trs II floating bridge. When i do a whammy dive , and release , the guitars tuning drops by a half step or so.

I am therefore required to hit my bridge with my palm so that it gets back into tune.

It's as if it has two positions!!!!

SO!

I dive, and release = it's out of tune

I tap the bridge (bend up) = it's back in tune

Shouldn't it bounce back perfectly in tune after a dive ????

Does anybody have a bullet proof guide to setting up these peices of crap?? Does this happen to you??

Tristan

I have the same problem. Its not fixable either. I researched the Ibanez site a while ago and its just a cheap design. Even alot of the licensed Floyd wannabe's have same problem. There are only a few that work good but would require about 300 to 450 worth of mod work, the only one thats a direct replacement would be an original Floyd. The Edge is great and some of the Schallers. Sorry, thats life in the cheap lane.

SoMm

Well, One of my guitars has a lo-trs bridge, and although it can be annoying to make it work right, when it's set right it will stay in tune very well.
The problem with all "floating" units starts with the springs. if your springs are not good you'll experience a lot of problems.
if you've had this guitar for a long time maybe you should change springs.
The first thing to understand is that the bridge must be parallel to the body. my ibanez S is quite problematic in this becuase the body is curved around the bridge area, so i have to use my imagination.
also, if you have trouble with 2 springs, try 3 (i use 3). try not to mess with intonation at first unless you really have to becuase you accidentaly started messing with it trying to fix things...

You'd be surprised how a setup done by a pro can make you love your guitar again.

Before you throw up your hands and ask why the hell did i get a gutar with a lo-trs II ... let me show you my account balance ...

----
0$

Ok so my Ibanez has a lo-trs II floating bridge. When i do a whammy dive , and release , the guitars tuning drops by a half step or so.

I am therefore required to hit my bridge with my palm so that it gets back into tune.

It's as if it has two positions!!!!

SO!

I dive, and release = it's out of tune

I tap the bridge (bend up) = it's back in tune

Shouldn't it bounce back perfectly in tune after a dive ????

Does anybody have a bullet proof guide to setting up these peices of crap?? Does this happen to you??

Tristan

I have this same problem with my edge 3, yet not as bad. Yeah, when I pull up, the tremolo is at a little higher pitch than it should be, I have to slightly tap the tremolo arm down, to put it back in tune. I think this is only on a pull up. Have you ever fixed the problem yet? I would also like to know what's causing it. Could you please reply and tell me how this problem is happening?

Old springs may be an issue. Suggesting the guitar is properly set up, have you tried lubing the posts that the trem sits on? Try rubbing a slightly dull #2 pencil up and down the posts that the trem sits on. It may just be sticking in place..

Your bridge is worn where the pivots are placed.
The lo trs 2 trem is made of a cheap material that worns fast.
i would suggest you to use chapstick there, it will improve the return to pitch.
anyway that is not a permanent solution.
if you can, buy an Original Floyd Rose bridge, is a direct swap, or gotoh floyd rose, the Edge/ Edge lo pro wont fit without modification.
I have upgraded some of my guitars with the Ofr, i have a Yamaha rgx 421 that cames with lo trs pro, witch is much better that the lo trs 2, anyway it worns after the years, and a Esp LTD v 350, swapped that licensed trem, worst than the trs 2.
i would recommend you to change those pivot bolts for the originals, in some bodies will fit (i think the trs2 bolts are the same size that the original floyd rose's), the ltd was a direct replacement, the yamaha i had to drill the holes with a 10mm bit.
search for Removing Trem Post Anchors/Bushings in the internet, a guide that i used to make the job, very useful and clean.

Back