compression for live guitar rig

ssseals

I've always heard a lot of good things from players who use compression in their live (stage) electric guitar setup. I just recently purchased an rnc for my studio and am becoming familiar with how to use one. Now I am considering adding one to my live guitar gear, but I am still unsure of the settings most people use. I can tell a difference with a clean channel. It seems "punchier" with a slower attack, 6:1 ratio, slow release. But how much "threshold" should I set it for? Do I want the compressor working ALL the time, or just on the loudest parts? If it's on all the time, why do I want my volume compromised? I can't tell too much difference on my distorted channel (rat pedal). And how about the sustain I hear all about? If I set a slow release (for sustain), won't that compress all the other (faster) notes I play around the sustained (slower) ones? Just looking for some input from some players who use one for certain reasons, and what those reasons are. You can hear some of my band's mp3's at www.mp3.com/atticdown I'm not spamming, this is just in case anyone wants to hear what I'm already doing without a compressor, and where one might be applied.
Thanks guys.

If you're playing ina club or something, it's really not necessary. A lot of times people use a compressor to make their guitar sustain more for leads etc... however, this would just normally be a pedal. I don't know if the RNC is going to work in your guitar's chain, unless you have a rack system. Since you're using a Rat, I assume you're going straight into the front of an amp... Actually, if you were playing in a large venue, the venue would provide compression on the house system... so I really don't think it's a good idea to use a compressor just because other people are doing it. If you have a specific need or you think it makes your sound better, yeah, go for it. But in most cases, to get the level of compressiont hat you woul be able to hear, it's really going to do things to your sound, and they won't necessarily be positive.

ssseals

I've used the Boss CS-2 compressor/sustainer with good results, when playing live for years. I used it mainly if I wanted to play a more legato type of guitar solo, using hammer ons and pull offs. The CS holds on to the notes and makes that possible. It has Output, Sustain, and Attack controls. You just use your ears to determine the right setting for you.

With that said, the big buzz now are the Carl Martin Compressors, which you can usually find on eBay. They're not cheap, they usually go in the $150-$180 range, but the reviews compare them to rack mounted units. It's a floor stomp box but has the whole range of controls. I'm thinking of picking one up at some point

spwee

Back