Classical guitar stringing

Thank you JDOD yes, when I think it a good idea to start and go through every thing, but one last thing I want you to answer *I remember one of the strings I guess D or A gave some wheeze like sound when I overwinded it, should I just ignore that..* thank you very much. Where are you from?

Being a classical guitar, these strings may not have a metal core, so that could possibly have been a sign of damage, or possibly not. It could just have been the sound of the string pulling through the nut or tightening around the tuning peg, or even tightening around the bridge and the wood of the guitar taking up a bit of tension - any number of things.

I wouldn't worry about it until you actually notice a real problem with it when you play and record.

Hi there,
I am going to record a new songs and to be well prepared I changed my strings, the way I stretch them is to set them and wind them two step higher than normal E strings to sol#note A ti do# and etc... and keep this position for 24 hours by rewinding them again and again whenever I could, did I damaged them, I checked the 12 fret and discoverd that they do not excactly match the free string tune, should I change the strings before recording, my guitar is COMPAS classic and the strings are DADARIO EJ45. I have not checked the 12 fret before on this guitar, Thank you very much.

Hey there. I have a masters degree in classical guitar performance. I have never heard of anyone doing this. It is not necessary. If your classical guitar is not staying in tune with new strings then something is wrong. Breaking in new strings to the point where they are stable should take approximately an hour of playing.

You may be stretching the life out of the strings, losing tone in the process.

thank you, but the strings are stable and I do not notice any weird thing and they sound good, but I am just worry because I am going to record some melodies, I need your opinion too should I record with these strings or replace them?

thank you, but the strings are stable and I do not notice any weird thing and they sound good, but I am just worry because I am going to record some melodies, I need your opinion too should I record with these strings or replace them?

Aren't strings like $5? Just replace them if you are this worried.

you are right but this is the forth time I replace them this week, I tried different tensions and models but I am just tired of replacing. I liked these ones Dadario EJ45, and they are 11 not 5$:D

You should be careful changing tensions that often on a guitar that doesn't have a truss rod. Go with the ones recommended for that guitar and put on a new set for peace of mind and be done with it.

Use light tension EJ43 string set, and do not leave so high tuning on guitar for longer time, just on time of recording/performance. 12th fret (and all other upper frets) tuning depends of guitar's frets/bridge installation precision. And of individual strings too, older strings tune little bit lower on higher frets. Use Peterson tuner or app, all others are not so precise. If you are using any other brand - use the same tuner for all instruments in recording/performance, because they are different. To precise tuning can reduce richness of sound of recording/performance some case. But no problems with guitars - it is impossible to tune them precise like keyboard, it is optimised compromise tuning instrument. Peterson is offering different "sweetened" tuning presets, they are great ! But musical hearing is final instance for tuning any case :). String quality is important, the best claccical strings I know (my opinion) are Optima Gold series with Carbon trebles. They are so precise, natural sounding and durable - last longer as any others. Carbon trebles are going even two times longer as wound strings, so there is a reason to by some wound string "half sets" separately.

Hey there. I have a masters degree in classical guitar performance. I have never heard of anyone doing this. It is not necessary. If your classical guitar is not staying in tune with new strings then something is wrong. Breaking in new strings to the point where they are stable should take approximately an hour of playing.

You may be stretching the life out of the strings, losing tone in the process.

+1 I know Jack here but purely from an "engineering" point of view I would have thought it bad practice to subject a guitar to the whole string load being a tone (?) sharp?

My son has a classical guitar in France and bought it from a guy that makes them. I shall ask him to ask him!

Dave.

Back