Choosing the right strings so I won't bend the neck

Enlighten

Hi there. I just purchased an ibanez guitar (RX series) on ebay. The auction descriptions&pictures showed that the guitar will need a new set of strings as some of the strings are missing. I would like to setup the guitar for playing heavy metal rhythms so I personally would prefer heavy gauges for the lower strings. But then, I'm not sure if heavy gauge strings would strain the neck too much and bend it.

Any suggestions for what to get?

Does the guitar have floyd rose trem? Are you just starting out? If you're just starting out, you might want to go with some lighter gauge strings until you work up some calluses. Otherwise, I'd say just go for the heavy gauge and change one string at a time. If the neck looks like its bending too much adjust the truss rod. If none of this makes sense to you, check out the other post about a setup, or just bring it into your guitar shop and have them string it up and do a setup for you. There should be no reason the guitar can't handle heavy gauge strings.

As far as brand... I like elixer, but I don't play metal. Tone wise, I'm not sure if they'd be what you want, but they do have a nice slick covering so it seems like it'd be nice for speed.

If it has a floyd,
Go to a repair guy and have hime do a setup with the gauge if strings you want. He will set the floyd and have it all setup.
My advice is to watch him do the setup and ask him questions as that setup a floating trem can be hard to do especialy if have never done it.

Watch and learn. :)

Other wise if its just a hard tail guitar put the gauge you want on.
Then tune it up and watch the neck if it has a major hook neck and strings look like a bow and arrow you will need to do a truss rod adjustment.
If all is cloudy to you just take it to a tech and have him show you the basics.
If hes nice he will teach ya how.

Later

-Blaze

I'd suggest that you always take a newly purchased guitar to a tech and have a complete set up done with the string gauge of your choice. The set up will adjust the truss rod, action and intonation. From then on you should be able to change your strings no problem, as long as you don't change the gauge. If you do, truss rod and intonation are probably in order. If you haven't done this before, definately let a tech do it and learn so that you can (maybe) do it in the future.

On my RG I use 9-46 guage strings, never had a problem with it. Chances are you can go a lot heavier if you want to.

Anything but

The Zack Wylde boomer set. I put those on a Les Paul and it cracked the nut. Those strings are too thick to be used IMO. Perhaps as bridge support cables, but not guitar strings.

Lots of metal players use light strings. Big tone isn't about hitting excessively large strings as hard as you can. High output pickups and high gain amps are responsible for that huge sound. It takes a light and fast touch to be a good metal player.

Try some 9's or 10's first.

Are you planning on down tuning?

gvarko said:
The Zack Wylde boomer set. I put those on a Les Paul and it cracked the nut. Those strings are too thick to be used IMO. Perhaps as bridge support cables, but not guitar strings.

Well yeah! You have to have the nut slots widened for strings like those. :eek:

And string size is personal preference most of the time! I use 11's on my RG and its easy as hell to play and I only tune down a 1/2step.

-Blaze

I use the ernie ball power slinky set on my Ibanez Rg for heavy tones. They are a 48 on the low e so it's not as extreme as zw boomers but a little heavier than a 46 and you shouldn't have to worry about bending the neck puttin em on, a slight rod adjust maybe to set the action and a little intonation and should be good to go.Choosing the right strings should be based on feel and comfort in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
gvarko said:
Switching to a thick set like the zack wylde set almost always requires widening the slots at the nut as in the case of your LP. Thats why the nut cracked (outer edge of the bass side right?). Any significant change in string gauge or tuning will require at least a set up as the tension placed on the neck changes and the intonation changes. Most electric guitars can handle any gauge string offered for guitars. Some acoustic manufacturers will specify the heaviest gauge string you should use for that particular guitar, especially when dealing with scalloped bracing. If in doubt at all, take it to a professional. A professional set up is money well spent, especially on expensive or vintage instruments.

Guitars come stock set up for standard tuning. When you detune you have to make some adjustments. If you have a Floyd on it, have someone help you out, and show you. I use Ernie ball hybrid Slinkys .046-.009 for DGCFAD and CGCFAD. If you go down to B on a 6 string, I use Ernie Ball .052-.011. When you do jack with the tuning and put on thicker gauge strings, you will have to tighten the truss rod and tighten the screws on your tremelo springs, so your bridge won't be all jacked up, like a hot rod camaro with the rear end raised up. All this while constantly keeping the tuning you want. You will want to set the intonation, every time you change gauges as well. If you stick to one gauge on each of your guitars, you can really dial them in.

Thanks guys for the responses. I'm actually a bassist starting out on the guitar. I decided to stick with the Ernie Ball regular slinky. Luckily, the guy at the shop helped me put the strings in and set the intonation so I should be good to go. Thanks for all the replies though. I learned a lot about guitars. I didn't even know about floyd rose and all that but after looking those terms up, I start to understand what they mean.

Thanks again.

Back