Celestion 12" speakers, your views.

ecc83

I would be very interested in the opinions of players regarding the various models of Celestion guitar speakers.

What do you love, hate or just tolerate? I understand of course that Electric Guitar covers a vast field of genres, amp types and loudness requirements but I am looking for a general view? A sort of first time plug in and 'Why TF did they use one of those?!' sort of reaction.

My interest is a bit of a 'semi-professional' one but I would not like those of you who know my background in the industry to be swayed by it.

Dave.

It really depends what you are going for.
Greenbacks are to get the classic 70s Marshall can sound. Think ac/dc

G12m70s so give you more of an 80s sound. Tighter, with more low end thump than the greenbacks.

Vintage 30s tend to be the best of both worlds.

In my experience, the higher the wattage, the cleaner the speaker. I had a pair of 100 watt celestians that were really thin and really tight. (Bad)

Unfortunately, I haven't been a guitar player for quite some time, so I'm not up on anything remotely new.

I've moved away from pretty much all the Celestion offerings and replaced them with WGS speakers.
The Celestion speakers are not "bad"...but every time I ran them up against the WGS counterpart...the WGS sounded better to me.
I've got several Celestions... V30, G12H, Greenback, Gold...sitting in a closet.
I should probably sell them off. :)

It has been documented that the old Rupert transformers came from ore mined in one region. Materials and build make a difference. I'm not inclined to buy new Celestion, Jensen, etc.. I had moved away from twelves around 1972, anyway, because of smaller amps

Back