Can anyone please help identify this

I know I've seen a pickup like that before, but I don't remember on what. I go to a store that has a lot of oddities from the 50's through the 70's, so that's probably where it was.

I wanted to think Kay, but it could be anything. No name made for a store by Kay, or, somebody. Maybe the local butcher had a small tool room in the back and made some guitars

Apparently they made a lap steel in the 50s.

Have you plugged it in? How does it sound? Does it buzz, rattle? Centering the p-up so it doesn't touch the plate might help. It appears as if it used to have body binding, but now removed? Tuners okay? Original nut? Case? You gonna sell it?

Mick, garww means that Silvertones were the Sears house brand that were made by various other manufacturers, most notably Kay, Harmony, and Danelectro.

Sears made up product names for appliances, Instruments, cameras, whatever. Something like Samick guitars with a Gibson headstock. I don't Expect Sears made Tower typewriters, or, Kenmore appliances. Silvertone Musical stuff might of been made by Danelectro, Valco, National, Harmony, Thomas, Kay and Teisco

Correction. It may be a Harmony p-up rather than Gibson.

Noted, fellas. My poor attempt at some sort of humor. Not feeling too hot, so I apologize if it came off as snarky.

I wonder if the op has been back?

Noted, fellas. My poor attempt at some sort of humor. Not feeling too hot, so I apologize if it came off as snarky.

Sorry. I debated whether or not you were joking, and I made the wrong call. I knew you knew that and should have given you the benefit of the doubt. It wasn't snarky at all, I thought it was pretty funny. Actually sounded like something I would have thought but not said unless it was in really poor taste, then I would have blurted it out.

No sweat brother, just trying to help the op and didn't want you guys to think I was intentionally trying to be an ass.

It's a cool little axe, wouldn't mind having one myself, even if I got limited use of it. Who knows, might play it more than expected. Maybe find my inner David Lindley surface. That guy can make a lap steel sing. Dig old stuff also, even if by today's standards they may be somewhat substandard. Of course must be functional, though.

I don't know if the op is interested in selling. Given that it is/was his dad's, original purchaser as well, reasonable asking price + sentimental value would probably put it out of what one would be willing to pay. If me, i'd hold on to it. Play it. Would also be a cool wall mount item and conversation piece.

$250 would probably be reasonable for both parties, if fully functional. Maybe $300 if w/ original case, original bar slide would be a plus, Literature would be nice. Would be interested in hearing a clip.

Not trying to offend with a low-ball, who doesn't like to feel like they're getting a bargain?....all above included, shipping, and option to return(at my expense), i'd probably be good for $250. But like I said, I wouldn't sell it. Offer would have to be quite a bit higher than that before I would let it go. Personally, given the history, I wouldn't take a grand. Priceless, probably.

I wouldn't know if there is anything collectable about it, but it wasn't long ago I could get a Fender and the amp for $50-$100 over a couple-three decade period

Sold! Do you include shipping?

Joke. These are the jokes, folks.

Yeah, keep the Silvertone and enjoy it, friend. Me? Let's face it, i'll never make it to The Opry.

Its, for sure, I secretly have wanted one. I don't have any young kids to paddle, but it looks like fun playing. In storage, I've got a old palm slide for it.

Anyone have suggestions for a good beginner lap steel guitar?
I'd like to have one for the rare occasional twang I do.

Anyone have suggestions for a good beginner lap steel guitar?
I'd like to have one for the rare occasional twang I do.

There not all that much to them. The strings should be straight and its nice to have the palm rest

There not all that much to them. The strings should be straight and its nice to have the palm rest

Cool.
Are the new models okay quality or is it better to go vintage?
I was looking at the newer Gretches. They seem nice, but I'm unsure if I can find a local shop to test them.

Back