Calibrating your tuner... help!

Carynsita

I just bought a Korg chromatic tuncer (CA-30) and I can't seem to find anywhere that explains what the calibration buttons do.

How do i know at what Hz to calibrate it at in order to properly tune my classical guitar?

If it's like others, calibrate lets you set the value of the note A, which is a standard reference pitch. Standard concert pitch is A=440. Set the tuner for that and you are good.

Each click of the calibrate button(s) will either raise (>) or lower (<) the note by a half step (one fret on the guitar). Turn the unit off then back on to reset it to standard (A=440). It's a handy feature if you want to tune lower (or higher) than standard tuning and still have the guitar in tune with itself.

Dani Pace said:
Each click of the calibrate button(s) will either raise (>) or lower (<) the note by a half step (one fret on the guitar). Turn the unit off then back on to reset it to standard (A=440). It's a handy feature if you want to tune lower (or higher) than standard tuning and still have the guitar in tune with itself.
that's certainly not true.

one click on either of the two calibration buttons raises or loweres the Hertz value of the A note by exactly 1Hz which is far from being one half step in the chromatic system. note that the rest of the notes will shift up or down in relation to that...the A note is merely the note that is displayed on the display as 400+/- Hz

Dani Pace said:

No, it's a much finer adjustment than that. If you want your guitar to be a half step flat, leave the tuner cal at A=440 and tune it to Eb, Ab, etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but I've got one and what I described is exactly what mine does. I prefer to call it "transpose" but Korg calls it calibrate.

Depending on your location, you may have to adjust your tuner for daylight savings time. Check your tuner against the atomic guitar tuner, located at the U.S Naval Observatory.

Dani Pace said:
Sorry to burst your bubble guys, but I've got one and what I described is exactly what mine does. I prefer to call it "transpose" but Korg calls it calibrate.
You might be thinking of the "sound/note select" button. Calibrate adjusts the value of A above or below 440Hz. I have the tuner in front of me at the moment and that is what the calibrate buttons do.

IronFlippy said:
You might be thinking of the "sound/note select" button. Calibrate adjusts the value of A above or below 440Hz. I have the tuner in front of me at the moment and that is what the calibrate buttons do.

That is correct. I've owned 2 of the CA-30's.

My Korg ca-30 tuner appears to need calibration for A=440

the CA-30 is an awesome little tuner.
I have owned one for about 3 years now, and I kept thinking to myself that my instrument did not sound right. Only today did I get my older Korg tuner - Korg Digital Tuner DT-2 (led) out and tuned with both tuners on. No doubt about it, my CA-30 is NOT on the note. My ear can hear the chime of the notes dead on 0 with my older Korg, while my CA-30 is almost 1/2 step flat. I am a semi-pro alternative banjo player (As far as I have got is mp3s and air play / artist of the month on Song Planet.com, so I am not a pro at all) and my father is an old timer bluegrass banjo player that also noticed his tuning did not seem right with his ca-30. I also had problems when jamming with a guitar player because if we each tuned by our own tuners we were far off in pitch and could never get in key unless one of us re-tuned by ear to the other. Now I know it was my tuner. (imho)

Are these ca-30 Korg tuners on the spot? Does A=440 Hertz out of the box? Mine needs transposed about 1/2 step sharp to even get close. I base this on comparing the unit to other tunners AND to massive amounts of compact discs in which my instrument is always out of tune/key even if I try a capo!

I understand how to change the calibration, but other than using my electric keyboard can anyone advise if there might be an internet site that has a sound generator for A=440 exactly"? :confused:

Thanks.

tuning site

This forum won't let me post links, so here's the best I can do:

try this:
google search "howtotuneaguitar"
Also, I've had some really good luck with my peterson strobostomp2. It's a strobe tuning stomp box. It's hands down the best tuner made. Peterson is the authority on tuning and it can be used to intonate a multitude of instruments including violin, piano, etc...
here:
google search "guitar center and stobostomp2"

rock on folks!
r.

441 is the pitch setting I was required to use for 'cello. I use 440 when recording & for everything else but working with another cellist. My tutor said it was orchestra concert pitch - I have to believe my tutor don't I?

This forum won't let me post links, so here's the best I can do:

try this:
google search "howtotuneaguitar"
Also, I've had some really good luck with my peterson strobostomp2. It's a strobe tuning stomp box. It's hands down the best tuner made. Peterson is the authority on tuning and it can be used to intonate a multitude of instruments including violin, piano, etc...
here:
google search "guitar center and stobostomp2"

rock on folks!
r.
I think you're about 4 years too late. He's probably quit playing by now. :D

Back