Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Blues Jr. >>>>>> Jettenuator:

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Nola View Post
    Is this true of a standard tube amp with the 1/4" jack unplugged? Like if I turn it on and the cable is on the floor before I plug in to the guitar.
    No quite sure what you mean N? The fall-back, super safe advice with ANYTHING, PC, AI, amps and ESPECIALLY Fussy Wire! Is to have everything cold and off and connect all necessary cables THEN power up.

But! I am of the opinion that decent gear and especially guitar amps should be pretty bomb proof these days. Yes, be careful on a gig that you don't make embarrassing, loud buzzes and farty noises but a well designed* guitar amp, valve or solid state should cope with 'hot plugging' IMO.

The really only danger to valve amps is if you don't load it (to within 50% of indicated tapping) then drive the nuts off it. Solid sate amps SHOULD cope with no load but don't bet on it and a shorted speaker jack might destroy it but really should just pop a fuse or the amp go into a controlled shut down.

*Another BUT! There is a lot of cheap ***t about now (but even some 'famous' old designs were rather delicate) and valves are not as strong as they once were. Still, a 'flashed' valve should still just pop an HT fuse (but not all amps have them!) and NOT cause 'collateral damage' but cheaping out on components that are only jeeeeust up to rating means this often happens.

Dave.

Thanks
    Is this true of a standard tube amp with the 1/4" jack unplugged? Like if I turn it on and the cable is on the floor before I plug in to the guitar.

Good question !!! I'd bet the answer is 'yes.'
    Babylon Sister

Thanks
    Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Would highly recommend having the BJ amp turned off when connecting or disconnecting the cables. Be sure all is plugged in before powering the amp up. Tube amps don't like having no load on the output transformer and could be damaged if powered.
    Not on the input jack where you plug the guitar into, only on the output side where a speaker would be plugged in.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    Not on the input jack where you plug the guitar into, only on the output side where a speaker would be plugged in.
    Right...... so if you turn on the head without it connected to a speaker or other load, you're in trouble.
    Babylon Sister

Thanks
    It works! What lovely sound, direct and silent (to the outer world.) I'm very impressed. For me, this is the way to record electric guitar.
    Thanks to all.
    Babylon Sister

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor Fudd View Post
    Right...... so if you turn on the head without it connected to a speaker or other load, you're in trouble.
    You could be but the very fact that the amplifier has no load will not, if it is of decent design, cause instant destruction, you would have to drive and quite hard.

The question is often asked "can I use a 16 Ohm speaker on my valve amp? It only has 4 and 8 Ohm tapps"

Yes, but, is the answer. If you had say a 50W amp and a put 16R speaker on the 8R tap at low (tuning up say) levels no problem. Even running that 1 to 2 "mismatch" * at modest 'pub' gig level would be fine but if you ran the beans off the amp with OP stage distortion, THEN spark could fly in the valves.

*We do not "match" any outputs to any inputs in audio. No, not even valve amps and speakers but that is a whole HEAP of other wriggly things that I am happy to go into if anyone really wants to know!

Just like to add: you like the sound? This is IMHO the best way to record bass guitar. Getting a good cab sound (need a good cab for one thing!) is tricky, bass is very penetrating and annoying and in any case every mortal thing in the room rattles!
    Dave.

Thanks
    I think I'll need impulse responses to get this fine-tuned properly.
    Babylon Sister

Thread Information