Blowing out Amp Speakers? Low Wattage.

michael_lifshit

I have a little 15 watt amp and was jamming the other day with some friends, with drums and stuff, so I guess I turned it up somewhat loud, but not even to max, and it started to make some fuzzy noises and kind of give out. Is this really bad? Its not an important amp or anything, just wondering.

Im mainly wondering if it is generally bad to turn amps all the way up or close to it? I am planning on buying another 15 watt amp anyways, and was wondering if it would be possible to jam with drums and all, and turn it up near max, without blowing anything out? I am aware this depends on the specific amp, but you know. Just generally?

Why would they make it possible to turn it up so loud if it would blow out? And if not then why did my amp stop working and start fuzzing and stuff?

After a few days it came back to normal. Strange?

What make and model of amp are we talkin' about here? Many amps will make some to lots of hissing or humming sounds when cranked espesially with the guitar plugged in. The pickups and guitar cable pick up noise which ultimately add to the noise.

Many good quality amps are designed for all out running, especially the tubers. Also in the case with a quality combo, the speaker is matched to the amp so that max rockin' can be done without concern. It's been my experience that with small combo transistor amps that you get undesirable transistor distortion long before you reach the damage range and you end up turning it down 'cuz it sounds bad anyways.

If you've toasted the speaker, I'd be really suprised but, again without knowing what amp you have and what speaker is loaded inside, it's hard to say. 15 watts isn't much and most reputable pupose made amp speaks can easily handle that kind of power.

Are you saying that now even when played at lower levels you're getting noise or does it just do this when cranked up? If only when cranked, you're probably into the non-linear response of the transistor amp stages (assuming transistor type) and you've found the nasty distorted limits of the amp.

You gotta give us more info...make & model of the amp and, look into the back side and read whats on the speaker.

michael_lifshit said:
I have a little 15 watt amp and was jamming the other day with some friends, with drums and stuff, so I guess I turned it up somewhat loud, but not even to max, and it started to make some fuzzy noises and kind of give out. Is this really bad? Its not an important amp or anything, just wondering.

Im mainly wondering if it is generally bad to turn amps all the way up or close to it? I am planning on buying another 15 watt amp anyways, and was wondering if it would be possible to jam with drums and all, and turn it up near max, without blowing anything out? I am aware this depends on the specific amp, but you know. Just generally?

Why would they make it possible to turn it up so loud if it would blow out? And if not then why did my amp stop working and start fuzzing and stuff?

After a few days it came back to normal. Strange?
Buy a real amp.

Um, ok, well now after a few days it works just perfectly, but for a couple days it didnt work at all even at low volumes, it woudl work for like 3 seconds and then start fuzzing and die out. Its some little marshall amp, not sure which. A little marshall practice amp, and it is actually my friend's.

I am thinking of getting the Vox AD15VT, and dont know if its worth the extra money to get the 30 watt model instead, since all it would be for is recording and occasionally a little basement jam. If I were gigging some time in the future, I could figure something out with a pa or something.

michael_lifshit said:
Um, ok, well now after a few days it works just perfectly, but for a couple days it didnt work at all even at low volumes, it woudl work for like 3 seconds and then start fuzzing and die out. Its some little marshall amp, not sure which. A little marshall practice amp, and it is actually my friend's.

I am thinking of getting the Vox AD15VT, and dont know if its worth the extra money to get the 30 watt model instead, since all it would be for is recording and occasionally a little basement jam. If I were gigging some time in the future, I could figure something out with a pa or something.

The 30 watt has a 12" speaker. The 15 has a 10". Thats two seperate tones. There will be a little more volume available with the 30 watt, not a whole lot...but a little. Doubling the watts does not double the volume.

Its hybrid amp so as with all solid state and hybrids IMO, you can't have too many watts.

michael_lifshit said:
So do you think it is really a big step up to the 30? It seems to me at the moment not to be, But Im not sure?
Buy whatever feels right. You gotta live and learn.

michael_lifshit said:
Haha I suppose that is true, but I think someone who knows a bit more than me can help me make a better decision based on my needs.

If you will ever want to be able to retain a clean guitar tone over a drummer at realistic volumes, 50 watts minimum. (30 if its an all tube amp because the distortion will 'shimmer' and still be percieved as a clean).

If you just want to rock out, then I would stick personally with atleast a 15 watt all tube amp, or a 30 watt or higher solidstate/hybrid.

Ok yeah that is a good point actually, I guess if I can find the 30 for a good price that is just 20 or 30 bucks more than the 15, I will go for it.

Amp volume varies considerably by make and model. Some 15W amps are quite loud and others not.

Most reasonable quality amps can run full out without problems. They were designed that way. It sounds like something else went wrong with your setup.

Tube amps have tubes that can jostle loose with vibration. If it is a tube amp, that is easy to check.

If you blew the speaker, it wouljd likely not every work correctly again. Since it has, that seems to imply that the speaker was not the problem.

I have a small Fender 12W Princeston amp, and it's plenty loud for me. I have played live in a number of small clubs with it and never had a problem with volume.

If your amp has a speaker output, try playing through a larger speaker cabinet. That is a simple test that costs 0$.

Ed

Back